Limited to Quads and Tri Polys in Blender?

I’ve been playing with some of the polygon cutting tools when I noticed something interesting. It seems like , unlike other 3D packages, it’s just about impossible to make a mesh with anything but 3 and 4 sided faces. Is this by design? If so, is this a good thing? Just curious.

Yes, you could say this is by design. Blender doesn’t support n-gons (faces with n numbers of sides). However, it does have F-gons - basically, fake n-gons.

Other than during modeling to make things easier, to my knowledge, there is no reason for anything other than tris and quads. Besides, quads are better with subsurf, and tris are more useful for things like game models.

-Laurifer

Would be nice if the developers would finally get around to introducing Ngons, though. As you said, it would make modelling a lot easier. Selecting one ngon is definitely faster than clicking on a bunch of faces…

so do ngons also have sloppy subsurfing just like tris?

Subsurfing a ngon creates artifacts the same way triangles and poles do. Most advanced tutorials for other programs eventually break any ngons created by modelling into quads (if they aren’t dealing with planar surfaces). IMHO ngons don’t help much for organic modelling but can make objects like buildings etc. look much cleaner. The loop/face cut tools in other programs also support ngons making some operations easier.

GreyBeard

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Two thoughts come to mind. For one, my gut feeling is that introducing n-gons would only make modeling easier for us inexperienced types in the short run. In the long run, I suspect I’ll be better off without them as I learn.

Second thing … What are poles?

Where an Edgeloop ends at a T or Y.

%<

Actually, anywhere a vertex has more or less then four edges going into it. So Y-shape (3 edges), 5, 6, 7 etc. edges. It’s called that because if you divide an orb into quads you end up with two points wiht lots of triangles going into them.

Just look at a globe of the world and you’ll know why it’s called poles.