Line-flare

Hey, does anyone know how you would make those “line-flares” in Blender.

For example, at night, when you see headlights, and there are thos two lines coming horizontally out of the lights…

If you don’t know what I’m talking about, I might be able to find a picture.

Thanks,

Use a SpotLight and turn on Halo.

%<

Use a halo material:

Create a plane in front of your headlight. Delete 3 of the vertices. To this one-vertex mesh, add a material. In the Shaders tab, activate Halo and Lines. Adjust the Lines slider for the number of flares you want, and adjust the HaloSize and Hard values as well til you get the appearance you want.

I’m not sure if and how you would adjust the angle of this flare to make it horizontal. Let me know if you come up with something.

yea… his idea, but instead of deleting 3 vertices just delete two and put one where each headlight wud b :-p

Yes, the only thing I hadn’t tried was doing the ‘Hard’ thing. but the problem is that there is still a halo object, and I can’t make the Line big enough.

Oh yeah, and the line isn’t horizontal.

Soooo, I guess this is something of a feature request. Although I know that I could do this with a plane, a texture and some contraints, I guess I don’t think you should have to go to all that trouble. Maybe not.

Maybe this will help:

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12952

<edit>
Most pics are gone, but @ndy’s show it’s possible. It has to with colorband settings for the halo. I can’t try out now, but since I need the same effect soon, I will probably make flash tutorial next week.
</edit>

Great! Now that I know it’s possible, I’ll play around and see if I can re-create the effect. Seriously, there needs to be a tutorial about this!