Linguistics

When asked how many languages I speak fluently, I’m forced to answer “None of them!”

My native tongue is North American English (which according to the English isn’t), along with some Chinese (I know enough to talk myself into a shotgun wedding but not enough to talk my way out of one), and a smattering of Russian (at least enough to get my face slapped).

I’m guessing you mean this thread, since I couldn’t find anything recent pertaining to this subject. So the answer to your question is no, since that thread dealt specifically with Japanese (and was, in fact, the inspiration for this poll).

-Raseri[/quote]

No, it’s this one that people were posting their languages in. A little different, I guess.

Polish and English(I hope)

Yeonil

Hey there’s no 0 in the poll:P I’ve barely mastered my mother-tongue fluently yet :wink: And, on a sidenote, a linguist is a person studying language structures and history, not a person who speaks many languages:P

A few people have mentioned this, and I actually considered using it as a joke option when I made the poll. The reason I didn’t is that the question is one of fluency, not mastery.

And, on a sidenote, a linguist is a person studying language structures and history, not a person who speaks many languages:P

Yes, but when you go and learn a language you effectively become a linguist, at least in regards to the language you’re studying. This is because nearly every language course, whether it’s in a classroom or a “Teach Yourself”-type course-in-a-box, includes sections on the history of the language.

The results of this poll have actually surprised me a bit; for some reason I was expecting an overwhelming majority to be multilingual. Well, I’m allowed to be wrong now and then. :smiley:

-Raseri

Hmm, not sure where to vote. I’m fluent in English and getting close in Spanish - like Boiwei, I’ve got to think hard to find a word I know a lot of the time.