Linked duplicates for text but only for one aspect?

OK, I should clarify this. Basically, I would like to create ‘parent’ text and text ‘children’ which are linked only by the text. The ‘parent’ text would only control the actual text of the ‘children’/linked duplicates and not the extrusion, bevel, transformation, material, etc…

I suppose in another way of putting it, can you link certain aspects of meshes or objects together without the child affecting the parent but the parent can only affect specific aspects of the child?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Paul
(mix_mash)

Not entirely. Linking works like this: you have an object of certain type, and it holds a link to data of that relevant type. That link may be unique, or shared between objects (linked duplicates). Mesh objects link to Mesh data, Text objects link to Text data. So multiple Text objects can link to the same Text data.

Each object has their own transformation and can have their own materials (when materials are set to be linked to Object and not Data), but Text geometry like extrude, taper and bevel are part of Text data and will be shared between all linked duplicates. You could substitute those parameters with modifiers (and those are per object, so not shared), e.g. Solidify for extrusion and Bevel modifier for beveling, however bevel especially might not work all that well: Text’s Bevel setting is taken into account for generating the text geometry, whereas the modifier will be acting on that generated geometry and so may be impeded by the messy topology.

@Stan_Pancakes
Well, that kind of sucks. I know that modifiers are not the most friendly when it comes to text objects. They work can work OK in most cases but bevel is the worst. Not having a text ‘master’ is a real shame as it has potential for a more dynamic text experience.

Thanks for that information. I hope that they overhaul the text engine some more so that the bevel modifer works better with it and that we can use text objects for booleans (virtual booleans - not real time ones).

Cheers,
Paul
(mix_mash)