Linking/Appending a rigged mesh to another blend file

I have gone through the process of skinning a polipoy rig to a basemesh, but I’m still unclear as to how some issues on linking and rigging work.

I would assume that if I were to try to link the original basemesh into another file, the mesh would appear without the rig? Should I make a group, and add both the rig, controls, and basemesh into the group, and then link the group? I would imagine that would be how it works but I wasn’t sure that would be enough to include the parenting, weights and so on.

I’ve linked objects, as well as appended them, but none of those objects were rigged.

I hope I’m using the right vocabulary. I didn’t have any education in this area at all, I’m just kind of feeling my way along. I’m using the terms as best I can.

I would assume that if I were to try to link the original basemesh into another file, the mesh would appear without the rig?
What did you see when you took all of 2 mins to test this ?

If you have parented a rig to an object and you append the object into your current blend file you will see both the object and associated rig will both be appended.

I did test it. When I linked the group, I got a selected group which doesn’t seem to move. When I checked the file for stuff to move over, I moved over multiple objects, none of which moved correctly. When I tried the group, I get a melange of objects that don’t move. I spent a lot more than two minutes trying to figure out how to move a rigged mesh properly.

If I knew what to read to tell me how to do this, I would happily read it. I have no idea how to proceed from here.

I kept going and looked around at the different things that I can append, and I regnamed the rig and tried the scaling mesh and finally got it to work. It really wasn’t that obvious to me. On the rare occasions I ask a question I usually get this sort of reaction, so I suppose I’ll continue my process of trial and error. I really didn’t feel like asking for an explanation of the process, or a link to one, was really that big of a deal.