Linking bone to mesh

I’m going through the Gingerbread-man tutorial and have the man and bones in place. It’s at this point in the tutorial that the interface examples don’t match what I’m seeing in Blender 2.48. I can’t figure out how to link the bones to the mesh.

How do I link a bone to a mesh in 2.48?

Hello,

Select your object and add the Armature Modifier (you’ll have to type your armature’s name into the first textspace - usually “Armature”, if you didn’t rename it).
Than select your bone system (Armature) and with Pose Mode on, shift select the object.
Thereafter, your object should turn blue. At that stage you can weightpaint (Weightpaint Mode) each parts of your object corresponding to the selected Bone.
Or, You can use the excellent Heat feature (see Blender-Wiki) and still correct the bones influences afterwards.

Hope it helps.

Good luck! :wink:

>>Select your object and add the Armature Modifier (you’ll have to type your armature’s name into the first textspace - usually “Armature”, if you didn’t rename it).

Okay, that seemed to work.

>>Than select your bone system (Armature) and with Pose Mode on, shift select the object.

When I select the bone, it turns blue, then when I shift-select the man, everything turns pink.

>>Thereafter, your object should turn blue.

By object, do mean the man or the bones?

>>At that stage you can weightpaint (Weightpaint Mode) each parts of your object corresponding to the selected Bone. Or, You can use the excellent Heat feature (see Blender-Wiki) and still correct the bones influences afterwards.

So, vertex groups are not needed in Blender 2.48?

When I rotate the arm-bone, some of the vertices move with it, and some don’t. Your process is very different than the tutorial where you name each bone, etc.

Thanks for the help so far.

Your welcome, happy if it helps.