Linux Benchhmark Help

Hi, I installed Ubuntu Studio some time ago. yesterday I had some spare time and I decided to compare Blender´s performance under Linux and Windows with the different Blender Builds.
I´ve got a GeForce 6800GT, 2Gb of RAM, and an Athlon 3500+.

Here are the results:

Windows:

Normal Build: 3:37
SSE2 Build : 2:48

Linux:

Normal Build: 4:12
SSE2 Build:4:30
SSE3 Build: 4:22
3DNOW Build: 4:19

As you can see, my Linux is much slower. The newest NVidia Drivers are properly installed (splash screen and all). Is there anything Extra I have to install?? Are there specific AMD, SSE3, or 3DNOW libraries that I have to install
in order to get the best performance under Linux???

Cause from what I´ve read, some people here say that their performance under Linux is much better than under Windows.

Thanks for any piece advice.

Have you tried rendering from the command line? I heard that it is faster

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Rendering_From_Command_Line

Yeah, but dont make a big difference.

Did you compile Blender by yourself or are you using binaries? Self compiling is faster too.
And btw, rendering is only done on cpu, so dont bother about the vga card

I´m using the BlenderBuilds.com compilations.
We are talking about more than a minute of difference, It´s a little to much I think. There must be something I have to install in order to get Ubuntu to use my Processor properly.
Furthermore, if you take a look at the Benchmarks, you´ll see that the optimized buids were slower than the 2.44 normal build…
There´s something definitely wrong here…

Thanks for the help guys

have you tryed benchmarking the graphics draw speed? help>system>benchmark?
i get about 2* proformance under linux, but im on a intell prosessor.

I installed ubuntu studio also and noticed that blender was a bit slower (during modelling - not really in render times)

it might have to do with the fact I cut my hard drive in half - (cos I created another partition for my linux boot)

I believe blender runs faster if you have a large hard drive

rendertimes don’t really make a difference to me - cos I set it to render then walk away

Yes, but imagine that you have a render of 2000 frames and each frames takes about 15 minutes…like my dancing dwarf did…

I´ve got a drive specially set for Linux with 28, i don´t think it´s a partition issue.

Thanks anyway!!

Is that 32bit Linux?
Official 32bit blender build is really slow for me too (Core2Duo)…and who knows what those other builds are worth, actually i don’t think gcc will ever use SSE3 instructions automatically so enabling it doesn’t change anything for blender compared to SSE2.
Enabling -msse(2/3) alone does exactly nothing, it only allows to use SSE intrinsics in code (which blender does not) and is required for other options like -mfpmath=sse and -ftree-vectorize (gcc 4.0 and higher only).
Also optimizing for the proper architecture gives some performance too.

On 64bit Linux (scalar) SSE2 gets used automatically and the compiler doesn’t have to care about pre-Pentium4/Athlon64 CPUs either…so you can’t make that many mistakes and always get somewhat decent performing code.

In numbers those are for me:

official 2.44 32bit: 3:01.06
official 2.44 64bit: 1:59.49
SVN trunk with further tweaks: 1:48.17

using the eofw.org test scene with one thread (results with multiple threads tend to vary a bit more…)
Compilers appear to be gcc 3.3 for 32bit and 4.1 for 64bit, i use gcc 4.2.
Side note: when benchmarking, disable CPU clock throttle, depending on how it is setup it can take several seconds until clockspeed is raised to maximum, and in my case with multiple cores using only one thread does not guarantee the core always works at full speed, i get considerably worse results when not setting “scaling_governer” of cpufreq from “ondemand” to “performance”.

Hello jpbouza,
I see that you care about speed … so do i :slight_smile:

Are you up for a small experiment??? Take the “normal” windows build and run it in linux with wine and post the render time. If I’m not mistaken, you should be in for a pleasant surprise :wink:

Can’t wait to see your test score!

OK ok ok!!

I ran the Windows Blender build under Linux using WINE…well, the results are impresive…
The render time is exactly the same as under windows. I tested it with the normal build and with the SSE2 optimized build.

Now, why is that the Linux Version of Blender is Slower???

Anyway, there is still some big difference between the Viewport performance under Linux and under Windows. In windows I get an almost realtime preview of my character dancing, but under Linux the Viewport preview is more that 3 times slower.

Are Windows Nvidia Drivers still more powerful than their Linux counterparts??

this is what I have noticed since my switch to Linux
maybe not 3 times slower but definitely slower

(thought it was cos I put it on a smaller partition with Linux - but maybe not)

Surely if this was a common problem we would have heard more people notice the difference in viewport responsiveness when they switched to linux. This makes me a little apprehensive of the linux workflow.

I have tested this using an 8600GT and 8800GTS in Windows XP / Vista / Fedora 7 64. My Fedora 7 using latest NVIDIA drivers beats the pants off the Windows machines in display speed. You might want to look to ensure the drivers are set correctly (VSYNC, etc…)

Hum, you could have some bad issue on your system or you’re using a statically
compiled version.

WINE + blender uses exactly the same linux NVIDIA drivers as
native linux blender.

So if you’re experiencing issues, my first guess is that you’re keeping compiz on while
you should turn it off, other chances are that your actual setup has some kind of issue.

Also check in the forums that you’re really using the right driver for your card
(legacy binary, binary or 100 series binary)

I’ve got a GeForce 6800 GT, I downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia and the installer compiled the driver with the latest kernel.

I’m using Ubuntu Studio, maybe Fedora is faster than Ubuntu, I don’t know.
Another issue I’ve encountered under Linux is the 85HZ refresh rate limitation of the Nvidia Drivers. I’ve read some forums and there’s a lot of people complaining about it.

Anyway, I’ve read that Pixar uses The Red HAT commercial Linux Distro, and I think that they definitely know what they’re doing. That’s why I say that maybe Fedora is faster, although unlikely.

Mattepiu: I don’t quite understand what you say about statically complied drivers, and that compiz thing, hehe, sorry I’m really new to all these Linux terms, could you explain some more??

Thanks!

Statically compiled blender is a version of blender compiled with both libraries
and the mesa drivers inside, if you use it you’ll not get any benefits from the nvidia
drivers.

Compiz or Beryl are eyecandies apps (rotating desktop, transparent windows), they add
only graphical improvements to desktop but get some resources as drawback.

What should I do to be able to get a non statically compiled blender??

Should I compile it myself using the Source Code??

Would optimising ‘Linux’ be more fruitful?

Why use ‘out of the box kernel’ Ubuntu Studio as you’re benchmark, is it the best of class Linux Distro?

Would a ‘out of the box’ gentoo based distro be more the thing?

I hear Yopper kernel is better optimized for desktop use.

Or if Ubuntu then would an optimized kernel build with Desktop performance priority be better. Would it really make any difference having a optimised kernel. Do ubuntu do that already? do their desktop kernels have different optimisations to their server distro?

What I’m getting at is your comparison about ‘Linux’ V Windows is flawed because what is ‘Linux’ ? We all know what Windows is, one distro, one build, one choice (per version)

Here’s a link to why Con Kolivas (CK kernel patches) left linux kernel development. Interesting read.

http://apcmag.com/node/6735/

‘Linux’ is faster for me because I use 64bit optimized self compiled builds and I ain’t buying 64bit Vista or 64bit XP any day soon. So i’d be left with 32bit XP and that’s crap in comparison to the options available from ‘Linux’.

Good luck.

Uhh, I’m on AMD64 too, why don’t you get Gentoo? It’s terribly fast. There are no disadvantages in installing 64-bit Linux - except the flash player is unavailable. If you use the 64-bit edition you use the full potential of your CPU.
If you dedicate some time to get Gentoo installed, it works like a dream :slight_smile:
PS: If you decide to try it, don’t use the graphic installer, it will only ***** your hard disk.

jpbouza: both static and dynamic (that will use your 3D acceleration) should be available for download at blender site. Check it out.