Linux/Gentoo guru's attention! [not anymore]

I have a problem :frowning: . my gentoo crashes when it does “cleaning /var/lock, /var/run …” on startup. I have no idea what’s wrong, I haven’t done anything unusuall to it. Just runned sometimes “emerge --sync” and “emerge --update --deep world”. How do i discover where problem is and how should i fix it?? i really need help with that. i can’t continue blending right now, AND THATS A REAL PROBLEM :smiley: :wink: tell me what specifications(logs etc.) you need , i will post them here. p.s I have posted similiar thread on gentoo Kernel/Hardware forum but I havent got answers there so , I’ll decided try here. Using: KDE 3.4 linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r1 kernel.

While I can’t help you solve this problem, other than a reinstall (you did put your home directory on a separate partition I hope) I highly recommend NOT doing an emerge --update --deep --world. It breaks stuff because it doesn’t always update stuff in the right order. This results in things being built against or linked to libraries that no longer exist.

You may try searching the Gentoo forums for threads on running the library linking tools like ld. It may solve the problem. (You’ll have to boot from the live cd and chroot into your installed environment - don’t forget to do the env-update and stuff just like when you built it in the first place.

I did a little checking and you might try:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" revdep-rebuild

if you’ve ever emerged anything from the “unstable”.

This is the wrong place to post this, as here there aren’t so much gentoo brains to help you. You should post this request in http://forums.gentoo.org

…p.s I have posted similiar thread on gentoo Kernel/Hardware forum but…

Mattepiu: I think you didnt read whole post :wink: And yes, i didnt expect much of this forum , but i liked to try if I could catch the fish in here :slight_smile: (neverknows)

Well this is kind of old post now (sorry that I havent update this thread), because i did reinstall whole gentoo again and im back for blending, but thanks for advices and replies anyway (mayby someday I have similiar problem and have to dig this post again :))