Linux NVidia dual monitor question

I’m currently setup with 2 monitors on my Linux box using the NVidia drivers. One monitor is a 19 inch LCD (1280x1024), the other a 15 inch LCD (1024x768). The smaller monitor is monitor #1, so that’s where the main application panel is (the taskbar). That’s good; it’s where I want it. There’s a minor annoyance I would like to fix. Actually two, but I believe the second one I’ll have to live with.

The first is, on the small monitor, applications ‘know’ where the bottom of the screen is, but don’t ‘know’ where the top of the taskbar is. So if I maximize a window, the bottom of the frame doesn’t go to the top of the taskbar, it goes to the bottom of the screen. As I said, it’s a minor annoyance, but I would like to fix it. Is there anything to be done here?

The second is that my mouse believes that both monitors are (1280 and 1024) x1024 and consequently the pointer can get lost ‘below’ the small screen. This isn’t so bad though. I can’t do anything here, right?

If you have it set up as ximiam (or named something like that) then you must have 2 monitors the same size, or you’ll get the mouse issue ans the single task bar.

I set up my nvidia script to use two desktop screens that Linux is so good at.

The down side to this set up is that you cant drag windows across to the other screens.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that you can only have a program running in one screen at a time with that setup; that to “span” a program between two screens would require different instances of that program. This includes OpenGL. That poses a major dilemma for Blender! Not to mention resource usage and setup time.

The thing is is that I’m generally happy with the way things are, but I would really like to have programs be aware of the top of the taskbar.

I also have the top of the taskbar issue using gnome desktop with a single screen.

GreyBeard

Have you tried resizing your screen size with the buttons on your monitor

Excerpt from my xorg.conf file on Suse 9.3, “Twinview” option enables you to move the mouse from one screen to the next. One screen is 1024 X 768 second is 1280 X 768

Section “Device”
BoardName “GeForce FX 5600XT”
BusID “2:0:0”
Driver “nvidia”
Identifier “Device[0]”
Option “ConnectedMonitors” “CRT,CRT”
Option “MetaModes” “1024x768,1024x768;1024x768,1024x768”
Option “SecondMonitorHorizSync” “30-70”
Option “SecondMonitorVertRefresh” “50-120”
Option “TwinView” “On”
Option “TwinViewOrientation” “Rightof”
Option “IgnoreDisplayDevices” “TV”