Linux/Open Source Studio Setup

Hi guys,

I was considering moving to Linux once again in a more positive frame of mind, especially with the release of Win8 - darn it I use mostly Open Source software in Windows anyway and it looks like a lot of us will be jumping ship in the next few years, so might as well get started!

I’ve kinda begun a relationship with Ubuntu lately (albeit with a dualboot for now), I had Mint a few years back for 6 months, but we just didn’t get on that well :wink:

I know it’s partly a matter of taste, but what software do you use in your Linux studio setup? For me currently I’ve begun working with:

Ubuntu 12.10
Blender
Gimp
Darkroom
Krita
My Paint
Inkscape
Pitivi
Audacity
VLC
Firefox
Libre Office
Banshee

Plus the Restricted Extras of course and the default bits and bobs that comes with Ubuntu 12.10.

Can anyone recommend anything else that may be of use that I’ve missed, or any plugins that maybe useful, especially for Gimp?

I realise that Lightworks beta will soon be available for Linux and that should be an improvement over Pitivi - on Windows I’d use Sony Vegas - so Pitivi is a bit of a step down but functions similarly. I think I’ve tried most of the others like Open Shot, Kdenlive, Kino and Lives. I like the way in Vegas you can adjust the clips volume with a curve on the timeline and also fade the clip with a curve too - I’m not keen on key-frame style editing for video work, it’s just not very quick (at least for me), that’s why I don’t use Blender for this sadly.

A good Video/Audio convertor would be handy too if you’ve any suggestions, with a GUI of course!

Thanks in advance,

Jay :slight_smile:

I use Gimp normal map plugin allot and get a look to WinFF, an audio/video converter for all platforms.
You need ffmpeg for it.

Cheers, mib.

I use Mint KDE and Sabayon KDE and additionally to your list:

kdenlive, cinelerra, handbrake, dispcalgui, digikam, makehuman, luminance-hdr, freecad, scribus, kile, rawtherapee, aptana studio, openshot, lightworks, chromium, skype (is like my buisinessphone), kontact (best PIM there is), grindstone (project tracking and invoice generation), dia, umbrello.
And as I do coding as well: geany, code:blocks, kdevelop, eclipse, qt and wx designers, svn, git

beyond that I’d setup ubuntu server (i got one) for:
renderfarm: loki, farmerjoe, dr.queue
webserver for online-presence: apache, php, sql, tomcat
localhost webserver to test occasional webpage templates, scripts or html5/javascript stuff.
print server: CUPS
automated backups - mirror raid for projects, network drives
ftp-server for client up/downloads or some kind of CMS with accounts for clients
digital asset management for textures, footage, sfx, music, like resourcespace, razuna, datacrow, tactic…
repositories for SVN, GIT… very handy for blender projects as well

Clementine instead of Banshee. You might also be interested in Mixx. Also, don’t forget Meshlab.

This channel on YouTube reviews a lot of various programs on Linux. Both GUI and CLI based ones. I’ve subbed him for years, since he finds a lot of fairly obscure things I normally probably wouldn’t ever find.

also, don’t use Audacity, not really. i’ve worked a lot in audio and Audacity is good for one thing: cutting audio into pieces and adding fades for export. not much else. if you want to do any substantial editing, recording, or mixing, just use Ardour; it’s the closest thing Linux has to Pro Tools right now, and version 3 is getting more stable all the time.

Have you looked at the Dreamstudio distro?

http://dream.dickmacinnis.com/forum/

I don’t see the advantage of an Ubuntu with software pre-installed in the repositories anyways with another name…
Especially if all the preinstalled tools are outdated in the repos and you got to get binaries or PPAs anyways for recent versions.
Oh, and Kompozer is not only not really good, it’s discontinued as well :wink:

Thanks guys for your ideas, it appears that I’m on the right track mostly with what’s available. The Dream Studio is similar to a project I had in mind making myself, although it would have just been a backup distro for myself.

Cheers, Jay :slight_smile:

I have tested a lot of Linux disros in the past and the one that really
left a great impression was Arch Linux. Bleading edge, and very much in your control as to what you want to use it for…( makes a great Linux studio setup) Trust me, the time and effort is worth it, you will probably have a very happy long term relationship with Arch Linux.
(not sure about the ATI cards ?)
The install takes some time to learn at first but it is well documented,
or you can try some of the Branches? of Arch.

Easy live install disks are
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=archbang
(very light out of the box, may have slight differences to Arch Linux)

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=chakra
(kind of new, have not tested because KDE installs as default)

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=cinnarch
(very very new, have not tested yet)

Longer road would be Arch Linux.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=arch

(It takes some time to setup/learn… I found it’s really stable and can be as light or jazzy as you want it )

Give it a try when you have the time. Hope you enjoy.