Linux Question

(Klepoth) #1

I’we just recieved my new computer and have decided to run linux on it instead of windows since it sems to be better for 3D and compositing, at least thats what i decided after reading the linux forum on http://www.3dbuzz.com . Anyway I’m not totaly sure about the partitioning. I have 2 HD:s and want to use one of them to save only my work and renders on, sould I partion this HD as a \home or what? Also is there anything else I should think about with the partitioning?
The disro I’m using is Fedora.

(Bussman) #2

If you want your second HD to be dedicated to the \home directory then I suppose you could do that. Audio guys routinely dedicate entire HDs to a single directory pointed to by their HDR software. Is it really necessary in your case? That’s the real question.

(yellow) #3

Hi

You don’t have to assign it /home/whoever. You could mount your 2nd drive partition or partitions at /mnt/whatever. There are other questions too, such as do I split the drive say 200gb into anumber of partitions and then what file system, ext3, reiserFS, etc etc. You might get better performance with smaller partitions than one big 200gb for example.

Myself, I have 4 drives, one is the Linux OS with associated apps and the other three are purely for storage. I’ve formatted them as reiserFS and I have them mounted at /mnt/VIDEO etc

http://www.tipmonkies.com/2005/06/23/linux-filesystems-and-partitioning-a-primer/

bye

(tedi) #4

well i’d assign a partition /home on the first drive an either assign second drive as /home/whatever ™ :stuck_out_tongue: (or leave it mountable as in above post) or - be smart and make a tree structure like /home/render , /home/textures , /home/sweethome … up to you to decide.

tip for all desperados running ancient mobos/bios:
make a 20-100MB (read the recipes of your distro) /boot partition at the begining of your drive (or else you’re likely to get grub’s “Error 18”) and stick other stuff into / and /home …

You might get better performance with smaller partitions than one big 200gb for example.
you migt but you may not. If you force work hd’s head to jump on reads/writes between partitions, you loose performance. if you partition system disk properly, you gain performance.

or else: go redmond and install Litestep.

(Klepoth) #5

Thanks for the help

(BurtS) #6

With large disk matrix or multiple disks one of the best tools to prepare complicated filesystem is small fisk that comes with FreeBSD.

You should consider to mount your backup drives under /mnt/hd1 … hdn.
Than is no matter what kind of file format is at your drive/storage device.

When you create your backup filesystem under /home/username it is highly propable that your files’ll be “mixed” with personalized system files and scripts.

(1Samildanach) #7

According to my memory, “/” is where software (including the system files) gets installed to, “/home” is where your personal files and things go, and having them seperate makes re-installing easier.

I got to go.