Linux Question

I’m considering switching my laptop over to LInux, but I had a couple questions about it before I go ahead and it.(Kubuntu specifically) If I were to buy a game or some software from a store, could I intall it? And does Kubuntu come with drivers for my hardware, or do I have to find a special version of them.

-Specs:
Toshiba Satellite A205
Ram 2GB
Intel Celeron 2x1.86GHz
Video Intel Chipset

I wasn’t really sure where to check, if somebody can answer my questions or point me to the right webpage, that would be great.

I’m not sure about the hardware, but you could try firing up a live-cd, and see if it works for yourself.

I have my doubts about the games, but you can have both kubuntu and windows on the same computer at the same time. You could then keep windows for the games, and use kubuntu for the rest.

As the majority of computer games are made for Windows, i would say no, in general.
If you are a little lucky, the game of your choice might be supported under wine, the windows compatibility layer (in my personal and highly unscientific experience, that is something along the lines of ~65% of all games). But the newer a game is, the smaller the chance.

since most computer come with windows, split you harddrive in half, half linux half windows, that way you can play online games and use linux…

There are a bunch on tutorial on google :wink:

Games (just like any other program under wine) might work and be supported but that doesnt mean that they will work flawlessly like on windows. From my experience, I would say that 98% of programs that are supported by wine end up with problems and glitches under Linux. What is the point of an app if only half of it works and it crashes all the time? Why put up with that BS?

+1 for dual boot

if you are new it is also always nice to have the possibility to use windows if something doesn’t work right until you find workarounds.

Drivers will generally download themselves in Kubuntu as far as I know, it differs from distribution to distribution, however.

Like TobiasDN, if you want to play games on your laptop you should try dual booting . Most retail games are developed using DirectX and not OpenGL . But you have the integrated intel video chipset which doesn’t support advanced shaders anyway, so even under windows you won’t be able to play games that use stuff like GSGL …

As for hardware most likely you will find almost no problems except for the intel chip for 3D stuff under the current Jaunty release . There are windows drawing issues with Blender (like menus won’t appear and weird stuff gets drawn in the 3D view) . There are ways to fix this, but an easier solution is to use the earlier Intrepid release or (not recommended for inexperienced users) become a beta tester for the future Karmic release (which still doesn’t work well except when Blender is in full screen mode, even then under Gnome it still has some issues, under KDE it doesn’t - KDE is the windowing environment for Kubuntu) .

And as far as buying other software (I would guess Photoshop or maybe Zbrush) you should dual boot for those as well . It takes Notepad a good 30 seconds or more to load under Wine !
But of course on the other hand all open sourced software loads and runs better under Linux . GIMP loads in seconds in Linux while it takes a few minutes under Windows and performs better as does Blender (once you can get it to run) .

Couldn’t resist the drive-by troll could you?

But, to answer your question, there is no reason to put up with that BS. Why expect these people who work in their spare time out of the kindness of their own heart to pander to people like you who just whine and complain because they can’t manage to ‘emulate’ a proprietary OS with half-assed documentation so you can run an app that the people who sold it to you were too lazy to port to another OS?

Yup, no reason at all which is why I don’t spend my hard earned money on software that isn’t designed to run on my OS.

Anyhoo, to the OP…

Pretty much all commodity hardware is supported out of the box these days with the exception of some pesky wifi cards because of (wait for it zanos) lack of proper documentation.

The easiest way to tell is to pop in a live cd and see if everything magically works or, what I do before I buy a new piece of hardware, type “<model number> linux compatibility” into google.

I would go ahead and switch to linux. Kubuntu is pretty decent as far as compatibility. As far as running windows games and such, just install windows under virtualbox and voila…windows on your linux box without having to reboot. I have never had any real issues, and have been running various distributions for years with windows guest.

Well, i obviously had a better experience with wine than you had…
When i say that 65% of the games i have tried were supported by wine, i of course mean that I, personally,
have found that around this amount of my games worked in a perfectly acceptable manner. Not just that
i was able to get them to start.

Wow, some mixed feelings here. I think I’ll go ahead and dual-boot. Vista isn’t so great(at least I have basic and no extra features, so it runs decent), but I do suppose there are some things I just couldn’t do without it.

Yeah lol. I even had problems with Photoshop 7 which was working flawlessly for other users according to them. I remember saving an image from Photoshop to desktop and it would save it but once I would view desktop that image wasnt there. It seemed like it was saving it someplace else.:mad:

And someone please explain to me why am I being called a troll once again?

I don’t want to hijack your thread, but since we’re taking about Linux, would it be better to get Ubuntu or Kubuntu?

Well, go ahead hijack away. I went with kubuntu because it looks more like windows, but I’ve heard ubuntu is simpler to use.

@Zanos: You’re being called a troll because you were acting trollish. If you don’t like a particular system, that is fine. Just try to remain helpful when somebody wants to try it out.

@destray: If you need any help, don’t be afraid to ask. I’m a longtime Linux user, but I always dual-boot Windows for gaming. My setup right now is the Windows 7 RC along with Ubuntu 9.04. Both have been very stable.

It really depends on what desktop manager you like. Personally, I like GNOME, so I use Ubuntu. Either look at the features of KDE and GNOME and try to decide, or download some live CDs and give them each a test run before you install.

Now, Id like to know how do you class that as trolling? It seems to me that people will call you a troll on this forum just because they dont agree with your point of view or in this case what you had experienced.

Kubuntu and Ubuntu are exactly the same distro. It’s just Kubuntu’s default environment is KDE and Ubuntu’s is GNOME.

Running 3d games under virtualisation has a history of problems, I wouldn’t count on it working with everything.

Ok, I guess I’ll try them both. thanks.

@Trevin: I’ve found a website detailing how to dual boot and I’m installing kubuntu as I type, but I’m sure I’ll run into something eventually and will need help, so thanks.

if dual booting be sure to defrag your windows partition first!!

if you are wondering about particular games you can try looking at the appdb on the wine site. Sometimes stuff works that the appdb says won’t too :slight_smile:

I’m now a proud user of Linux! Though I have one question. When you make an application shortcut(KDE) on the desktop how do you set the icon image?