Linux Screen Capture Tools?

Was wondering if anybody knew of a good screen capture tool for linux. Doesn’t need to support audio capture. Would like to see if I can record something in Blender. I’d also like to try and make a useful Compiz-Fusion demo to put on youtube. Most of the ones on there just throw a tonne of eye-candy at you that doesn’t really show how it can be used in an every day work environment.

The only one I’ve ever used is xvidcap. It produced decent results for me, but there may be other/better tools out there.

gimp is nice, but only does screen shots.

What distro do you use? I know a good one I used in Ubuntu, but I don’t remember what it was called.

gtk-recordMyDesktop

istanbul is one, although last time I used it it could not capture OpenGL programs.

gtk-recordMyDesktop is a great one. It supports openGL, if you enable capture screen continuously in the options it also supports sound. :slight_smile:

Got gtk-recordmydesktop from the Fedora repos and it seems to work pretty well. Only drawback that I can see is that the encoding process does not seem to be multithreaded.

wow… coincidentally i just downloaded recordmydesktop (the command-line version…) under Ubuntu Feisty, and while i friggin love it so far, i have had to use the “-full-shots” paramater so it will take a full screen shot for every frame. makes my pc do a bit of skipping in Blender, but it’s not too bad at 12 fps. Anyone know if it will work with some other setting that will allow me to not use the full-shots option?

Anyone know if it will work with some other setting that will allow me to not use the full-shots option?

Download the GUI for it and you’ll get far more options. :slight_smile: The GUI can be found in the ubuntu repos.

+1 to that from my behalf too, use it myself! :wink:

Just tried gtk-recordMyDesktop, works like a charm, thanx for the tip! For video tutorials a tool to display keytrokes in a small popup window is all that’s missing… does anybody know such a tool (Linux of course ;)) ?

i think theres a python script that dus this, i think;), not certan

i suggest gtk-recordMyDesktop