Linux WIndow manager +Blender?

What are some good window managers/desktop environments that are LOW on memory and processor requirements AND support a mousewheel?

I have tried fluxbox and xfce and neither support scrolling the middle mouse button. This gets annoying when I want to zoom in on something.

I am looking at Enlightenment, but I can’t find any rpms that work with PCLinuxOS .91 If anyone knows where I can pick up such rpms, please tell me.

It’s not your wm that’s causing the problems. Good ones, like KDE, provide you with option dialogues to configure things like the mouse, but they don’t interpolate between mouse and software.

Google Scroll Wheel and Linux and see what you find. Most likely you will need to modify the /etc/X11/XF86Config file or the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Good luck.

have a look on icewm and flwm. both are very low on system load. Enlightment eats up a lot because of its effects and stuff, it’s just for designfreax :).
Mousewheel should be supported in any window manager.
btw. this is how your XF86Config section should look for a 3Button mouse:
in my case usb mouse.

Section “InputDevice”
Identifier “Configured Mouse”
Driver “mouse”
Option “CorePointer”
Option “Device” “/dev/input/event0”
Option “Protocol” “ExplorerPS/2”
Option “Emulate3Buttons” “false”
Option “ZAxisMapping” “4 5”
EndSection

The important part is

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" 

in section “InputDevice” :wink:

yes I figured it out after searching on the net. Linux misconfigured my Optical mouse and thought it was a generic 2-button mouse. I had to change that and everything works like a charm.

BTW . . . I found a manager called XFCE 4.2.2. Is it any good (as in not taking too many resources, responsive, etc.)?

I think this thread should move somewhere else…

anyway: just try it out!
and yes - it is very lightweight, although I don’t like it’s look’n’feel, but that’s me. As I mentioned before I prefer icewm, flwm or fluxbox. all quite similar. And if you’re working on a PII or something you should go for twm, the most featureless and therfore fastest wm I know :slight_smile:

krizu

I’m a large fan/user of Fluxbox. Was gonna tell you that I’ve never had problems with Blender/Fluxbox but then noticed your post about your mouse being configured wrong. :wink:

I’ve used XFCE and enjoyed it…but Fluxbox won out.

IceWM & Fluxbox are the lightest for memory usage, but for speed, KDE isn’t as bad as it used to be:

http://madpenguin.org/images/reviews/vl51/e17numbers.png

(source = here. )

There are better graphs out there, but I didn’t spend that much time looking.

I’ve been using Enlightenment for quite a few years now and speed has actually never been an issue for me. Effects are turned off (you can do that, you know) and the WM is quite well configured for speed (on the code side and on the workflow side - keyboard interface is great). Toss in a minimal theme and you’re ready to rock. Of course, everyone has their own tastes on how a WM should be, but I had to do my little part to dispell the “just for designfreax” myth.

Also, the graph that knellotron posted is (while it only shows two tests) pretty helpful.