Linux ?!?

Hi

Sorry for posting yet another topic about linux. :expressionless:

I’m currently using windowsXP and now I’m thinking about to take the step to linux but… I have never worked with linux, well, I tested a bootable CD of Adios but that was a long time since then.

What I’m wondering about is:

What distribution should I use? Which is the choice for a total newbie? (who maybe thinking too much windows %| ) Suse? RedHat?
Is it only Suse who got a 64bit version?

What should I think of? Should I split the hdd into partions? Drivers? (and stuff like that)

Can I run windows applications on linux? Like photoshop.

Lastly - Is there any good step by step tutorials on ‘how to’, or video tutorials?

I hope I’m not bothering you too much.
t3d

If you want to go to Linux!! then be prepared to give up you windows software (yea yea I know ,Wine, wine) no matter what you try you will not be able to run photoshop in any usable way on any lienux.
If you are running long john silverware versions of programs there you won’t loose out giving up Windows.

If you own a legal copy of windows, and all the other programs are legal, then there is a lot too give! there are not programs too equal all windows software for lienux, there is some good stuff Blender :smiley: Gimp, making music is still painfull at best.

I suppose you should try a multi boot system first off, try a number of lienux versions, and see which one works best for you.

Lienux can be engrossing (and painfull) to play with, but if you like a challenge and don’t mind reading lots of long winded howto’s, that are quite cleverly written in an other language that looks like English but isn’t, then give it a go.

Ken

I don’t like lienux, could you guess :smiley: :wink:

Well as I’ve recently tried the transition to linux myself I’m in agreement with most of what’s already been said.

Linux is tricky to “get into”

I can tell you what I’ve encountered so far if it will help.

I found Ubuntu to be one of the better distribs to experiment with. It’s quite a clean install with minimal fuss.

The trickiest part is getting essential stuff up and running like video drivers etc…

If you’re willing to live with dual boot, do it. 3D apps under linux seem to perform very well, and I do mean very well. Using blender in linux offers a noticable speed boost even just modelling let alone rendering.

You can use Wings in linux, and it’s much the same. GIMP is certainly a worthy alternative to Photoshop and with 2.3.4/2.4 due out eventually, it’ll only get better.

If you stick to using linux for your 2D/3D tasks like Wings/BLender/GIMP/Jahshaka etc… then you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Keep windows for your gaming needs and even some multimedia needs.

There’s no right or wrong, just experiment.

One piece of advice is to try linux only if you’ve got an Nvidia card. ATI support can be iffy from what I read. :wink:

Well, the choise of which distribution of linux I should take make me dizzy :wink:

no matter what you try you will not be able to run photoshop in any usable way on any lienux.

There is a program that let you use win32 applications on linux. I don’t remember what it was called but it could run photoshop 7 but not CS.

>>PolygoneUK:
Thanks for your reply.
Since it mostly are blender I have running on my computer it seems good to have linux. But the case is that I want to use photoshop along with it, mostly because im used to it. Gimp and I dont work well together :-?

Links to good sites is very appreciated

Having switched to Linux, I would reccommend it to anyone, even to hard core Microsoft Windows fans. The most common way to run Windows apps is through a Windows emulator (they swear they’re not, but the are) called WINE. For gaming needs a rewrite of WINE that attempts to emulate the DirectX components of Windows is available called Cedega, from transgaming. If you look hard enough on google you can find a free copy cough without technical support…

As for most programs, I have found that the open-source applications that mirror them are just as good. I like the GIMP, but loved Photoshop in my windows days. Wine, since it updates everyfew weeks, can accomplish emulating it fairly well, though I’ve never tryed to install it. WINE is free, but a pay for application called Crossover Office allows emulation of certain Windows applications that are harder to get to run in plain WINE, photoshop included. Though based on WINE, it is a slightly easier interface (and easier to install). Once you’ve been using Linux for about a week, it will be like a second nature…

I also love programming on Linux, it is so much easier than on windows… That, and many things work out of the box, such as sound drivers and USBs and printers, making many Windows driver installation things seem pointless…

As for writing music, this is only a problem if your sound card does not support hardware rendered MIDI in the first place (if you have a soundBlaster card, then you probably have hardware rendered MIDI) which can easily be fixed by intalling a softSynth like Timidity or fluidsynth. A software called rosegarden is what I use to write music, except for drums, which I write with Hydrogen (which is amazing, and not midi based, you should try it!) I have midi’s on my computer playing though timidity, and when I write, I have it going through my Keyboard (which was supported out of the box).

Also, the customizablility of Linux is supreme to that of Windows. Just look at www.kdelook.org or www.gnomelook.org for various themes and styles you can apply to your desktop and windows. Linux is a much better, stabler OS than windows, so I suggest switching.

Hold on Tight,
Ongnissim

P.S. also, if you have problems, you can always post them here, or on one of the Plethora (I love that word) of Linux User Forums online. You might also want to check out the free online magazine “Tux” which is specifically for linux n00bs.

BTW, I use Ubuntu/Kubuntu distros of Linux (both desktops installed).

Ongnissim

Ohhh pooo here I go again, I know im’e gonna regret this, but lots of people keep talking about Ubuntu (Kubuntu? Ubuntu with KDE? )

Were is the easiest place to start with Ubuntu/Kubuntu ( I prefer KDE to Gnome)

Yea yea im’e the who said he don’t like Linux, but if blender runs faster then OK :smiley:

The reason I stick with Windows for making music is more my financial investment, I use Cubase and Fruity loops and have loads of payed for and free VSTi-VSTs

I did try Agnula ( ? spelling) was good but I had some problems, as I have a Audigy2 ZS plat pro and proteusX Emu 0404.

Ohhh my hard drives gonna hate me :smiley: :o :wink:

Hmm maybe I don’t hate Linux too much after all, maybe im’e just a tad lazy :wink:

Ken

I’m currently using linux as hobby, since my office uses Windows and Mac, but my team uses windows. At home i tried to use linux as often as possible.

Just my 0.2 $ if you want to try linux, stfu grab one and just install it. Get a good linux book then try everything. Erase windows installation in your hard drive, try for a week or more just using linux. That’s the best way to get around linux faste, that’s what I did when I first learn linux. Also forget knoppix, slax, or those kind of liveCD. Got crush on a distro? Well, grab it then use it. Noone can tell you which distro is the best. Every single distro has its on pluses and minuses. First I tried mandrake, then redhat, then debian, now I’ve been playing slackware for awhile. It’s yourself who decide which the best distro for you.

t3d:

What are your reasons to want to move to Linux?

If you’ve got investment in Windows software and specific hardware that might not have linux support, like kencanvey then your going to be disapointed and probably end up poo pooing it like the fore mentioned.

If however you’re totally f----d off with Windows like I was and still am then that will fuel your determination to succeed. Choosing and installing a distro is one thing, building a toolset of software that will meet you artistic needs from the choices you’ll have available to you will be nothing but compromises all the way. Gimp for Photoshop, Openoffice for MS Office Inkscape for Illustrator etc etc. Saying that, if you are determined enough to invest the time getting it together, living with the compromises and up for the challenge to produce work from whats available then the move to Linux might be worth it.

Perhaps get hold of a second machine any 700mhz up PIII or above and try Linux out or just use a live distro. SLAX will give you Blender 2.37a and Yafray .008 and it’s a bootable CD or h/d install.

Personally Linux has been my OS of choice for over five years. I have to use XP at work and it so far behind in many respects although Vista will probably address that.

As distos go for noob’s I like Ubuntu. Gentoo is my fav though and has been for over 3 years. I’ve found little to commend Fedora or Suse. Debian would be a good alternative. I really have gone off rpm based package management and prefer Portage with Gentoo and apt-get / synaptic with Debian based disto’s.

Whatever Linux disto you choose there will be a steep learning curve and time spent on getting it together with Linux is time away from Blender.

Good Luck

Why I want to move to Linux?

If you would take a look at my hdd you would probably see that the most of the applications installed is free. So why should i get stuck in Windows? It’s only photoshop I’m going to miss if I take the move, but if there is a way to get it running on linux pretty well, then… that’s it. Take the full step to the open world!

Who knows, next version of Windows maybe isn’t that god as it has to be. And if you purchased it you will surely be stuck for ever.

The possibility of an opensource application is endless, right? The commersial ones is just money and look at Alias/Discreet. No heart.

t3d

I’we been on Linux now for two and a half weeks (sounds kinda like I’m talking about drugs or something :slight_smile: ) and it was a pain the first week and ahalf, when I was using Fedora 4, and trying to solve all the dependencies and stuff to get my software running and tu be able to use souch basic stuff as various videoformats. I was seriously thinking about going back to windows but instead I started looking at other distros and foun Blag whitch I, after some slight problems during the instalation, been running with out a problem. And since it uses Synaptic to installe various softwares and packages, witch kinda automaticly works out most dependencies, its so much simpler to install stuff.
If there are any Fedora users out there then don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying Fedora is crappy or bad, and I know there are ways I’we could have solved my problems in Fedora, I just found everything so much easyer with Blag (whitch by the way is based on fedora 3) since I’m a person who realy hates having to conigurre allot of stuff before using it.
But since iI dont realy got any experience with any other distros (exept the dynebolic live-cd) I dont realy know how Blag or Fedora compares to other distros.
I gues thats about what I have to say for know and its looooooooong past my bed time :slight_smile: and I need to get early in the morning to work on some animations so goodnight and i hope you’ll check out Blag!

ho-hum …

some say this one: http://kanotix.com/ is good and easy. Ubuntu is easy too. being debian-based means you can use the synaptic - basically you can use the debian way™ of dealing with installation and package management (apt, dpkg). which is good™. definately use a debian-based spinoff distro, not the real-deal debian which isn’t that trivial-easy to get up and running. most spinoffs let you use the official debian repositories (or cds-dvds), ubuntu being an exception with their own repos (and optimized kernels etc.).

or take a look at www.mandrivalinux.com if you want an easy installer. rpm world. also optimized. pay-for accelerated 3d drivers or compile your own …

t3d:

Most linux noobs tend to find Ubuntu (or kubuntu) the easiest to start out with. It’s based off of Debian and uses the Debian repositories for installing software.

Most distros of Linux are generally easy to install. The hard part is installing and updating software. That’s where the biggest differences between the distrobutions come in. Distrobutions that use a central repository are generally the easiest to deal with while RMP based distros are a real pain in the butt. Debian based distros like Ubuntu generally fall into the “easy to maintain and update” category.

The best distro (as far as maintainability, stability, and documentation are concerned) is probably Gentoo. However there is a trade off in two ways: 1)it is source based and takes forever to build 2)it is very much geared towards the more experienced user. Once you are much more familiar with linux, you may want to consider moving to Gentoo.

The hardest things to deal with are generally the display drivers. (reguardless of distro)

If photoshop is the only program (besides blender of course) that you are concerned about then I think you’ll probably do just fine with GIMP.

Oh, I almost forgot. Despite what kencanvey says, there is plenty of very nice audio packages for linux.

Thanks for your comments.

I did install Kubuntu today and find it very ‘easy’. Even the external hdd works just fine and I played around a little bit with Blender too :smiley:

But, as you said FishB8, the display drivers is a tricky one and I think I will reinstall everything again. A question about the openGL drivers who is installed by default in Kubuntu - How do I uninstall those? When I install the drivers from Nvidia it gets to the part where the openGL comes and then it can’t continue.

I will make this… I will…

Most linux noobs tend to find Ubuntu (or kubuntu) the easiest to start out with. It’s based off of Debian and uses the Debian repositories for installing software.
completely wrong.
it uses debian-way of setting it’s own repos. getting pure debian packages may break ubuntu box. but some pure debian stuff just works.

Despite what kencanvey says, there is plenty of very nice audio packages for linux.

http://agnula.org/
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
http://ardour.org/
etc.

regarding gentoo:
http://www.sourcemage.org/Gentoo

the display drivers is a tricky one

if you don’t want to recompile read here http://ubuntuguide.org/#installnvidiadriver for nvidia.

if you don’t want to recompile read here http://ubuntuguide.org/#installnvidiadriver for nvidia.

whohoo :o thanks. I didn’t find that ‘hidden’ document. I will try that. Thanks again :smiley:

I get kinda interested in Linux too every once in a while.

I have quite a bit of investment in my Windows operating system especially when it comes to music, DTP and word processing (MS Word - I know I know), but I should be able to dual boot yes?

I downloaded Ubuntu and I’m thinking of installing it - if only to get a couple of pieces of software I really like running on their original OS - Blender, GIMP, Inkscape, Open Office all being examples.

From the sounds of it, you get some genuine improvements in speed/performance with Blender on Linux which does sound fairly attractive.

I’m trying to (very slowly) clear a second harddrive of all its contents so that I can install Ubuntu on it. I’m gathering all I have to do is reformat to FAT32, install Ubuntu and put GRUB on my other WINXP drive so that I can choose between WindowsXP and Ubuntu on boot up.

Can you actually do this, or do I need to put the Ubuntu OS on the same disk as my WINXP OS?

Caleb

Using Fat32 will really ruin a lot of Linux’s performance, and possibly its reliability. I’d reccomend using ext3 or something like that and just installing an ext2/3 driver for Windows.

You can have both Windows & Linux on one disk, but that requires re-partitioning.

Thanks for that. I will have to look-up ext3 etc… so that I know what they are. I’ve been a Windows user for a long time and am not that familiar with other os except my fairly shallow involvement in VMS and UNIX at work.

So obviously it’s OK to have Linux running from a separate harddrive in your computer and I can do this. I didn’t really want to repartition my main Windows drive.

Caleb

Now I’m really happy :smiley:

I have got the video drivers working with no problem and even if I have to go to bed I have to figure out how I get the latest blender and yafray installed. It’s so funny when it just get right :smiley:

Se ya

Forget about installing linux on fat32. This is the win95/98 filesystem, while linux has it´s own(es): There are ext2/ext3, reiser (which I am using), xfs and others. ext3, reiser and xfs are so called journalling filesystems, providing better self repairing routines (after a crash e.g.) than older filesystems. But don´t bother with that, best is to choose between ext3 and reiser when asked during install they´re both quite rock solid.

A linux install is quite easy these days, not like way back when gum boots were made of wood :wink:

Ubuntu seems to be quite easy for the beginner to start with linux as I heard, so rock and roll. get some hd, boot your ubuntu cd or what you have and give it a try! I have coexisting win/linux installations for years now without problems. If you need any help feel free to ask.

krizu