Lipsyncing a character made with MakeHuman

how to you lip sync a character made with makehuman?

bump nobody answered…page 3, wow depressing… :frowning:

This is not my area hope this helps
http://download.blender.org/documentation/oldsite/oldsite.blender3d.org/46_Blender%20tutorial%20Lip%20Syncing.html

how to make of Blender’s Relative Vertex Key system now called shape keys
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58669

I think what noidtluom is looking for is a way to take the facial morphs from MH 0.8b and lip sync them. The only way I can think of doing it is to export each morph target as a separate .obj file, import them and then manually morph them. How to do that in Blender, and what it will look like when you’re done are two things I can’t answer. I’ve toyed with MH a couple of times, but haven’t had the time to really dig into it.

When MH 0.8b first came out I thought they said they were working on rigging for animation, but I haven’t kept up with it and I haven’t heard any news from the MH folks. I know that the “older” version of MH ( 1.8 ) which was basically a Python script came pre-rigged, but I haven’t tried using it yet.

The biggest limitation I ran into in my limited attempts with MH 0.8b was that you couldn’t (at least I never figured a way to) save a figure’s settings.

Maybe someone from the MH group can shed more light on what’s going on…

bleh even in the latest MH the bones were there, but you had to rig it yourself.

i dont understand this:

"I think what noidtluom is looking for is a way to take the facial morphs from MH 0.8b and lip sync them. The only way I can think of doing it is to export each morph target as a separate .obj file, import them and then manually morph them. How to do that in Blender, and what it will look like when you’re done are two things I can’t answer. I’ve toyed with MH a couple of times, but haven’t had the time to really dig into it. "

Ok noidtluom what is “bleh” And as far as I know there are not bones are amatures in MH 0.8b.(Very funny numbering system that they are using since the last version before the November 21st release was MH 1.8 if I am not mistaken) In anycase they released it with just .obj export and rendering using pixie and aquis. Its still in alpha as far as I know.

so in other words you have to use RVK or the new shape keys on the imported MH mesh in order to do lipsync.

(Mostly off topic regarding the lip sync question):

The last version as a script for Blender was 2.0 WINTER and the there were issues with some computers, I think related to OpenGL.

I contributed to the MH project for a while modeling the average people targets, which you can find in the UNOFFICIAL TARGET LIST. The pretty females are created by mixing the female body target also in that list with some of the average people targets. Those targets never made it as they are because they are not as flexible as targets for smaller body areas.

Anyway, I don’t know what thy are up to these days, but I know the MH team have it as a low priority to support Blender. There will most likely not be an exporter compatible with Blender armatures. The new Python pose submodule might make it easier to import the muscle engine samples (a few of which I also modeled) and convert them to Ipo driven shape keys. I personally don’t find it the idea very attractive.

Targets are also scattered in the 2.0 directories, many of which are not in the new standalone distribution. I don’t think there are any for lipsync.

If you want to create RVKs out of targets, it is very easy. Someone just asked this at the Python forum and gave me this simple idea: https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58795

I am working on my own topology converter to use the MH targets (including mine) and the wonderful ethnic heads modelled by Cicca, without using the Makehuman mesh.

Thank you for the clarification Jorge.

I’m sorry for taking this a bit off topic, but since you obviously know what’s, what with MH, could you please explain:

1. What changed in MH (Blender script) 2.0?
  2. What does MH Make Target do, which version does it work with and how do you use it? I’ve tried using it a few times and never could figure it out.
  3. Just how do you load the targets? I assume they only work with MH (standalone) 0.8, right?

Many thanks!

In other words you import the .obj file from MakeHuman and you rig it yourself inside of blender.Just as though you made the mesh from beginning, starting with a cube mesh.

1:
A new base mesh, with improved topology. All targets had to be remodeled from scratch.

A new GUI, using OpenGL inside Blender’s 3D window. I guess they were prototyping the standalone program.

2:
Maketarget is a tool for modelers and uses the base mesh of 2.0. Basically loads and saves targets so modelers could test their targets and submit them in a compact text format, instead of full blend files. Very few complied.

Maketarget works ok, but there was a change in behavior in Blender 2.37 which broke it. Ask me if you want the fix.

3:
2.0 WINTER and 0.8 (strange numbering, as SHABA1 mentions), have the same base mesh and targets are interchangeable. The only part that might be different is the tongue, because there was an error in the mesh.

I don’t really understand what you mean about loading the targets. If you want to add them, so they appear in Makehuman, just drop them in the corresponding target directory. I added my characters in the “makehuman/targets/characters” directory and the compatible female body which feminizes them in “gender”. You can create a 64 x 64 png icon for every target and put it in the corresponding “makehuman/UI/tgimg/whatever” directory.

Thanks Jorge.