Lipsyncing?

Hi, i was wondering if anyone knew a way i could lipsyncing in blender. I just starting out on animation (i know this ambitious for a beginner), and i’m planning on using this in a film. So if anyone can give me pointers, it is most appreciated.

Thanks

Follow AndyD’s tutorial in the Blender Wiki.

K, I’ll try to be nice since I haven’t really posted in a while.

Here is AndyD’s tutorial on lip-syncing.

You can also find some other stuff in the BSOD intro to character to animation

Or in Tony Mullen’s book Introducing Character Animation with Blender

And even still, there are some of us crazy bastards that are doing it using armature instead of shape keys, like Calvin with Sadbob and AJ, Jpbouza with blenrig, and my own meager contributions.

The other place to check is gonna be in the sticky on page two, I and Clean3d put in a ton of links, but not all are blender specific, but they are generally animation specific and lay out a bunch of theory and process.

A main point to remember when lip-syncing is that you don’t have to hit every key, consonants must last for 2 frames minimum to be seen, and it’s the body that does the talking, that’s why most people, even traditional animators do the mouths last.

Also, I just read through Richard William’s “Animator’s Survival Kit”, which I’m next gonna work through and post my CG results to a blog, and the secret of lip-sync he learned from Milt Kahl, was “To progress the action as you speak.”. What Mr. Kahl meant by that is when you look at Jim Henson, he’s got a sock over his hand, and he’s still doing a better job than most animators, because “He’s going somewhere with that frog when he’s talking.”. You’ll probably hear most other people agree, a good lipsync is done by talking with the body, the mouth is secondary, some characters, like Marvin the Martian, don’t even have mouths, yet we see them talk and hear their voices, no mouth.

You’ve got to read the links to learn, you can lip-sync anyway you want, the basic mouth shapes(visemes) are the same, whether you use an armature because you’re lazy like me and get static results from shape-keys, or you use those shape-keys like AndyD and come up with some amazing animation including the whole body and secondary action.

I hope this helps at least a little, at least now you have the information in one easy little list, now all you gotta do is read, and practice. Also, there are a ton of other great animators here on BA, I only link to the BSOD tutorial, Calvin, Jpbouza and AndyD because their work has helped me learn the most, and the fastest.

ps. I know that lazy bit about me seems contrary, but I find it easier to push my self to animate the whole face when I gotta use bones rather than shape keys.

What i am doing is filming my face doing the dialogue, but on the final product i plan to my face and a CG characters face (Yoda from star wars) faded together, so the real actor and the CG actors faces are faded 50% each. So its only the mouth i need to worry about it.

if you are just going to match the faces(rotoscoping?) then I would suggest rigging the face so you can match the facial movements in the “real” face easier, shape keys might be a little more difficult for an exact match.