Liquid question

Hi. I just started playin around with Blender liquid physics recently, and I had a quick question. How do I start a scene with the domain already filled, fully or partially with liquid?
I’d like the answer for both please, how to start off with a partially filled domain, so that I could drop something into it, and also how to have a domain already filled, so that I can take underwater shots of objects.
Thank you!
:ba:

Yuo can have more than 1 fluid object in a domain, so all you have to do is make an object that fits either the shape of the domain or your fluid containing obstacle, and make it a fluid. Just make sure the fluid is a bit smaller than the domain, (1/resolution of the size of the domain) e.g res = 100, domain = 2 blender units, needed gap = 1/100 * 2 = 0.02 blender units.

Something also to look into is the Active ipo of fluid objects. This may be used to turn inflows & outflows on and off amongst other things. Think of tap that is turned on and off for example, or a sink that drains once the plug is pulled.

but won’t that make some movement occur unless the mesh fits perfectly?

Yup, exactly. But don’t worry, there a dead easy way around this.

Make your container and the liquid it holds. simulate until the fluid has settled, then select the fluid and export it as an OBJ file. Re-import this file and there you have it - liquid that’s already settled to fit the shape of it’s container.

I did a ‘bullet-time’ type of shot on a fountain simulation once, by rendering the fountain running then rendering a camera move around a stationary fluid object.

Have fun!

im having similar issues.

My intention is to drop a sphere into a barrel of water.

So my problem so far, i have to wait 500 frames before the fluid is close to settled, then drop the object in.

Is there a way to have it start at 100% settled from frame 1, so i can just drop the object in at say frame 10 and have the fluid react accordingly???

Your response above about export this obj back in, well this would just lead you back to step one, this seems like a solution for a static fluid but wouldn’t work for continuous animation.

Thanks,
Dave.