LiquidApe's Sketches and Wips

hey, about the detail on dyntopo and its eventual lag effect on some basic functions, if you want a hi detail model without so much lag do this:

after everything is done, i mean proportions, form etc. and all you need are those small details

go to edit mode, activate wireframe shading so you can select everything from behind, lasso select the part you want to detail, like the hand, the head or the foot whatever, separate that as a whole new object, select that part, press shift+h to hide everything except that part, sculpt those tiny details,

a thing to remember, DO NOT sculpt on the separation line, and do not activate the dyntopo symmetry function while sculpting a separated part.

after detailing’s done, just select the separated object along with its main body and join them (ctrl j), go to edit mode, select all vertices, and remove doubles. done.

you can redo this with other parts.

another thing, with a hi res mesh, viewport will lag if you go to edit mode, so make sure that you have a perfect view of the part you want to detail in object mode in the blender window before getting to edit mode, this will let you avoid navigating inside the edit mode with all that hi mesh resolution lag.

Can’t beleieve I’ve not seen this thread before!

i really enjoy teh dragon in teh first post and the hi tech gorilla…

lov ethose exagerated proportions! greta!

Good ideas iceking! Never thought of that, but logically it should totally work!

@Michael W - Glad you dig it, I’ll add some of my other finished stuff in first post. I guess I need to finish out that gorilla - everybody seems to like it.

Added finished images from portfolio site to first post.

I meant to pop in here earlier but I’ve been busy with late 4th of July junk.

Sword and shield both look good. I did a rough paintover on the shield, just to show some options. I used a soft brush and painted down the center to try to emphasize the curvature you have going in the shape. I also dabbed in a bit of brown/orange to indicate some rust on the edges. Again optional, but can kind of punch in some extra color and keep it from being too monochromatic.

You pretty much have the idea down though. Hand-painted textures I don’t think are as hard as people tend to assume. :stuck_out_tongue:

I like what you did - I’ll try and work the shield a bit more to take out the “hard edge” in the center. The added rust color is subtle, but adds to the worn look for sure.

hey you the dyntopo guy right?

Thanks Herbert

Dynotopo Dev? Nope, not me. I did make the addons in my signature though. (Pie-Menu’s or Quickprefs is probably what you are thinking of)

What method did you use to paint the dragonish thing in the first post (thumbnail dude)? Is it even a texture or some kind of vertex paint?

It was forever ago that I made that, long before a lot of the new paint tools came into play. I just used projection paint with 2 uv maps - the first would be a regular unwrap, the 2nd would be a unwrap from view. I would then line up the view UV’s with a side view of the concept art, and then clone from that UV layer to the main layer. Then I just had to touch up seams. Hehe, with this method you could probably argue I did not do the textures! Concept art is here: http://tabletmonkey.blogspot.com/2010/02/chompy.html Lucky for me it was in profile view, otherwise the technique would not work. It would be much easier today with stencils…

Texturing & Materials has always been my weak point - you are helping me with that XRG!

Heh, I probably wouldn’t even have thought to project an image like that. It works though – and looks good. I’m in sort of the reverse situation. I don’t know many ‘normal’ texturing techniques, so I just paint them.

Finished Building my Blender Battlestation! This:

Became this: