List of questions concerning proper coding and defects ?

Hello to anyone who reads this.

I am interested in learning the Blender codesbase and helping out. Of course I first need to learn programming more thoroughly.

I am starting this thread to get an idea of what is considered both proper and defective coding for Blender. I am planning to ask a series of these types of questions regarding the Blender codebase as the questions arise. I guess I will just place each question within this thread.

For now I only have two simple questions, if anyone is interested in helping.

I don’t no the exact revision I have but I did a checkout around 04/01/12 from :
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/trunk/blender/

In the file interface_panel.c

@func static void check_panel_overlap(ARegion *ar, Panel *panel)

/*code snippet*/
   <b>if</b> (pa-&gt;paneltab==NULL && (pa-&gt;runtime_flag & PNL_ACTIVE)) {
      float safex= 0.2, safey= 0.2;

<b>if</b> (pa-&gt;flag & PNL_CLOSEDX) safex= 0.05;
      <b>else if</b> (pa-&gt;flag & PNL_CLOSEDY) safey= 0.05;
      <b>else if</b> (panel-&gt;flag & PNL_CLOSEDX) safex= 0.05;
      <b>else if</b> (panel-&gt;flag & PNL_CLOSEDY) safey= 0.05;

EDIT:
Ok, these first questions below were stupid… I just now noticed the difference of
panel->flag
pa->flag

Well, I can’t delete this post so maybe I’ll just continue posting questions as I think of them.
Sorry.:o:spin:

Q1) Are any of the above else if statements redundant? (i.e. should they be deleted)

Q2) If they are not redundant, can you tell me why they are needed?

Thanks----

@WiseLyons, evidentially - only one of these flags may be set so seems reasonable to use 'else if’s here.

This is a fairly obscure area of code, unless you are trying to fix a bug or add a feature here, I think there are better areas to start.

Suggest to be more task oriented - try solve a problem - eg: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Quick_Hacks
Then start with the big picture and study only the code you need.

Alternately you could say - “task oriented be damed! I want to understand this code - no matter what” - In that case I suggest…

• look at the history of the file “svn blame -x -w somefile.c”, find the commit that changes these lines and read the commit log.
  • try change the code yourself and see what happens.
  • add prints in the code and see which ones run (a printf for each IF in this case would make sense.)
    … this is time consuming, but once you’re done you should be able to make fixes/changes/improvements to the code much more easily.

Hi ideasman42.

Thanks very much for your time and answer sir. I actually don’t know why I posted those two questions… I believe it’s because I’m not thinking clearly. But the problem was that originally(before posting) my brain only saw 4 " panel->flag ", but after posting I realized there were 2 " pa->flag " and 2 " panel->flag " bit comparison’s. And so this thread was/is currently unnecessary, I guess…

However, it is a pleasure and comfort to recieve advice from a well established Blender Dev. Thanks man!

hey,

triple times hooray for a new develloper who wants to get involved with the Blender code, apparently you already know about netiquette … unfortunately I can not give a more insightful reply than ideasman42 but still I (we) appreciate you being here …

you can disregard this post ad hoc

regards

hewi