Little Aliens - Free 3D Model

Hi guys, here is a free 3d model of a little alien.
You can use him for anything you want, just post a link to your work/project here in the thread.

The .blend file contains only the red alien but you can play around with the hue value to get any color you want.

Tree Little Aliens.blend (1.2 MB)

Cool model. Tiny, cute and slimy :wink:

I havent looked at te file. Is it rigged?

I am working on a rig for personal use, but I give the model v0.3 to everyone.

hey thats nice! i love it!
but the other textures are not in the file(green, blue, etc) or is this intentional?

I plan to finish these models and use them as placeholder models while coding stuff, possibly even keep them in the finished product.
For that reason I shared only the Red alien and reduced its texture size to 256x256. The model will change over time, what you see here is about 4 hours of work, but I think its good enough to help someone who is starting out and wants a placeholder character.

You can get any color you want simply by editing HUE of the image, excluding the eye texture.

I downloaded the file. The alien is really cute. Even without animation it looks like it is alive.

The data-blocks are well named. Overall a very good resources.

Just one minor critic:
In Multitexture mode (preview is fine) the alien turns into a chrome statue (in-game). Reminds me a bit of Terminator 2 ;).

I tried to fix that. It seems not that easy but here a method that worked:

• selected an additional texture slot below the existing textures
  • assigned “Red Alien Diffuse” as texture
  • switched Mapping/Coordinates to Generate [now the look is fine in Multitexture but not in GLSL)
  • disabled Color in Influence/Diffuse (this fixes GLSL)

do the above steps with the Materials “Little Red Alien” and “Alien Eye”

Josip, great work.
I can imagine a lot of these little aliens crouching through various demo games :wink: (much better than a cube)
It could be a great training resource for rigging too.

[Edit] I suggest to add a note that you are the author of it. You might want to use the custom properties to tag it on the object.

Thanks Monster.
If someone wants to use it in Multitexture mode they can just remove all textures except the first one Color/Diffuse, same for the eye.

I don’t know how good the topology is for rigging practice but for my rig ( 2 body bones, 1 bone for each leg/limb, 2 bones for eyelids and one for the eye) its good enough.

To anyone who plans to use this model, please report any problems and suggestions here so I can fix it in future versions.
And as for credit for making the model, this thread is enough for me, people here will know who made it.
You don’t have to mention me every time you use the model, but it would be great if you could use this thread to post a link to your game/movie/demo.

He does indeed look great, nice one Josip. :slight_smile:
Have fun updating him!

perfect! :smiley:

Thanks guys. Do you have any suggestions ?

maybe mouth bones?
So he can talk.

Yeah, that would be useful. When there is a few more people interested and a few more suggestions I will post version 0.4

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to make a character like this? (ready for use in game with animations ect.)You say that took 4 hours but is only 0.3, would you expect 10 hours work for 1.0? Or more? I’m just trying to figure out what takes long! Is it texturing or modeling or rigging or designing?

Well I am not sure the numbers are same for everyone. I have a lot of drawing and modeling experience a very little rigging and animation experience. So I can start drawing simple sketches until I see one that inspires me to draw him detailed. There is no telling how long that will take. After that I draw a side and front view and plan out the wireframe/topology on the drawing. Once I have all that modeling the base mesh takes very little time. I can do textures and materials really fast too, because I played with them a lot before, but when it comes to rigging everything slows down for me. I have to learn as I go an its a lot of trial and error to position the bones right (for me). Animations are fun to do, I tried with other peoples rigs and models, but it takes some time to get them looking just right. So I guess the short answer would be:

A simple, small, not very detailed character or prop can be done in a day, from the initial idea to something ready for the game.

More complicated models take more time, and even more time if you want to make them look realistic.

Most artists I know spend around a week or two on making characters for xbox360/ps3/pc games.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it. :slight_smile:

Download brings me to kinda advertisment, I press skip and get 2 advertisments in row, can’t pass 2nd one…

That site has malware called gua

IDK what’s malware, haven’t faced with that name for SO long…

They are computer viruses that infect your pc.

Umm, I doubt they affect Linux… :smiley: