Little City 2

This is my third post. Hope you all like it.

56 Likes

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you :blush:

1 Like

Nice work. Are those buildings parametric models?

Love this!

1 Like

Really nice, but your DOF is extreme!

2 Likes

When shooting miniatures, one of the best ways to fake realism is to add a lot of DOF. This work in photography as well. This seems to be employing the same concept.

Really nice job here!

3 Likes

Nice. What type of blur did you use? because that type of blur makes some objects look small.

It’s called “tilt-shift”. (there’s one in Photoshop CC)

1 Like

For the curious … let this “old-timey” photographer chime in here. Many architectural photos are (still!) take using “bellow cameras.” These cameras have the ability to establish a film plane which is not parallel to the lens (or “image”) plane. Which allows for things like the Scheimpflug Principle. The film-plane can be tilted and shifted.

Here’s a discussion of the underlying principle, aimed at real-world photographers, which also tries to throw a few coins in the directions of the users of box-camera equipment: http://www.savazzi.net/photography/tiltshiftbellows.htm

Bellows cameras are still used to, for example, photograph tall buildings without encountering the problem of “converging lines.” However, Blender does already provide support for the simplest cases of this through Orthographic Projection.

Obviously, the Photoshop filter is not perfect. However, I would argue, “low-poly ‘Little City’ work” gives you a whole lot of human-artistic latitude. Personally, I find the “not quite right” treatment of lighting and sharpness of obviously-adjacent objects to be rather charming. “To me, the whole thing works.” Right up to and including the “row of smiley-buttons facing away from the camera.” The attention to detail here is actually very impressive. I can readily see that a whole lot of work went into this. :+1:

1 Like

Looks amazing

This is awesome! Nice work!