Little "L's" question

Can you guys tell me why those little “L’s” (in the motion actuator) are sometimes invisible? (Blender 2.23)

For example, when I open Adam Wiseman’s Vertical Aiming AI sample, the little “L’s” are not there. But when I make my own work, it appears.

I am asking this since I am trying to track down an error in a sample game I’m making. You see I’m trying to create a tank that tracks a target no matter where you drive it. I can’t get it to work properly. it works when you drive forward and backward but the turret spins like a top if you alter the chassis’ orientation by turning right or left. But when I use Adam’s sample as a basis, it works. The only thing different is the absence of those little “L’s”.

Help…

Those little “l’s” are for linear movement. Linear movement is say when you have a character going north, and you rotate the character 90 degrees left, the character doesn’t keep moving north even though you turned it, but goes west now instead. If you had this off, and you were going north again and turned, it would keep going north and your character would look like he was moving sideways. Get it? The reason the L’s aren’t showing up on his demo would probably mean you aren’t zoomed up enough. Hold down ctrl+middle mouse button and move the mouse up while holding the mouse over the logicbricks and you should see it.

Maybe that was a bit complicated, my explanations usually are.

Pooba

:o Gee, thanks! Now I can see the “L’s”! Thank you for reminding me of this.

Unfortunately, I still can’t get my turret to track without spinning. Turns out those missing “L’s” didn’t have anything to do with it.

Can’t you just use a track-to type thing?

Yes, I’m using that but I seem to have made an error somewhere. I’ll work on it again. Thanks.

If you are using the track to actuator, that might be the problem.
If you put a track actuator on a child that is parented to an object with another track actuator it causes the “spinning top” effect. That’s because the child is inheriting rotations from it’s parent as well as trying to rotate from the track atcuator.

If you have your file set up like my example, make sure the empty is a vertex-child of the base object instead of a regular child.

Thanks Adam. I think that will fix it. I’ll try it later…

Wow! :o It works now!

Thanks Adam. I didn’t think that vertex-parenting thing was important until now.

Thank you for your replies.