Little/no improvement in animation render time with GPU Acceleration (CUDA)

I have been struggling to figure out how to benefit from GPU acceleration with my particular PC hardware while rendering animations. I just finished viewing a sticky topic on GPU acceleration, but did not get the answers I need. I typically work with editing raw 720p video files, each of which tend to be around 1-1.5 gigabytes in size. I render my video edits into mp4 files that are about the same size (I try to preserve the original bitrate when possible: ~6000 kbps).

I tried to activate GPU acceleration according to the instructions in the Blender wikia. I went into my user preferences and activated CUDA under the “System” tab, and then ensured that Blender was set to Cycles Render at the top of the window. I also made sure that I had set my device to “GPU Compute” in the Render panel under the Scene settings. Despite this, I have noticed little improvement using the GPU acceleration settings. I do not create additional scenes when doing video editing, and I do not utilize 3D text in my videos at all.

While rendering a 31 minute video, animation renders took ~62-66 minutes regardless of whether GPU acceleration was turned on. I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to tech, but I know that my PC should be up to the task for video editing. If would appreciate some advice on what to do. Let me know if you need more specific info…

Some specs for my PC Build:
CPU: Intel i7 4790K CPU
GPU: EVGA Superclocked GeForce GTX 770 (4GB VRAM)
RAM: 16 GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600 Mhz
Power Supply: Corsair HX650 (650W Gold rated)
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150
Memory: Samsung 840 EVO SSD (250 GB) - This is where my Blender program is installed
Memory: WD Black Series 1TB 7200 RPM - This is where I store raw files AND render my video files for YouTube.

You talk about video editing and cycles rendering. Which are you doing ?
Cycles GPU rendering is for rendering the viewport, not for outputting video from the video editor.

I am doing video editing, but I turned on the cycles render in Blender thinking it would enable GPU rendering.