Lizard Man Scuplting

Kinda wondering if anyone has any suggestions for improving this before I texture it. I am actually going to do a low polly version and make a normal map so I have less to deal with when it comes to verts and what not. Right now sitting at about 125,000 verts, so i am not going to try and mark seams on that.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a213/KineNan/Creature02Render02.jpg

~KineNan

I am not 100% sure about the work flow … Normally in other sculpting software… people first make a base mesh that uses less polys … and then the mesh is UV unwrapped …after which sculpting is started … after that the texture is painted and at last the displacement ,normal and texture maps are generated from it… As I told I am not sure how sculpting is done in blender… Actually I have not even seen generate displacement map for blender…

Some tips on sculpting

1. use a base mesh that has good topology(expecially if you are planning to animate)
  2. start giving the basic shape in lower multires… and details as you go up…
  3. always use less strength for the brush … so that you can work in small increments…
  4. dont forget the fact that you can always change the brush sizes and types…
  5. dont forget about the undo feature …this is the biggest feature you have when sculpting in a computer software…

From one of the videos/tutorials that I saw a couple days ago you can have 2 meshes, one low poly and one high. You place them on top of each other and by selecting them and performing a specific command that I cant remember at the moment it will figure the differance between the low and high poly meshes and generate a normal map mapped to the uv cords of the low poly mesh. I could be mistaken on parts of this, I have watched quite a few vtms as of late.

~KineNan

@KineNan: hmmm… could be a uvunwrap / baking normal to it on the high poly, then uvunwrapping the low poly and applying the uvunwrap (normal from the high poly) as an image in the low poly and have it effect the normals…
dunno, I’ll have to try it sometime

good job on lizard man, I like the eyeballs ! :slight_smile:

Found what I was talking about when baking a high poly models normals to a low poly mesh.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Bump_and_Normal_Maps

After the pictures of Susan under the heading “Baking Options” with the baking method set to Tangent (allows for the model to be viewed from any angle and be deformed) and the Selected to Active button pressed, will allow you to bake the high poly mesh to the low poly. Now the exact method and requirements I am not quite sure, but I believe the low poly is the only one that needs to be marked and unwrapped for this to work. I will find out withing the week, I am not rushing this model, I have yet to complete a model with texture and all so I am taking my time, to a point… getting a little excited at the prospect of actually finishing a model.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a213/KineNan/lizard.jpg

Using Standard Color map on Col - Normal Map on Nor - SSS enabled. Composite on render for minor gamma correction.

The Texture is far from done, and the light is not quite what I want but this is where its at for the moment. Using Blender 2.48 RC1. Seeing the Normal maps effect models in the 3D view port is quite nice, though they seem to effect it more in the window then in the final render, maybe in time I will figure out why.

Was originally trying to use nodes to apply the normal map to the models base material but it didn’t seem to have any real impact. Plan on adding some fine details to the base texture, like freckles and divots, veriations in the color, and better definning the pink area(gills I think :confused:).

Comments and critiques are welcome.