Lock brush size for texture painting? Is there a reason this isn't a feature yet?

Brush assets are a target for first trimester 2024.

Then shortly afterwards, at different moments during the second quarter, we have interesting projects lined up:

Pipeline & Assets
Sculpting & Painting
Physics & Simulation
Tablet Input Mapping
GPU Projects

Most of these projects need to have their design fleshed out in order to pinpoint their scope and planning. This will happen during the first quarter, or ultimately before the project officially kicks off.

So, for the moment, there is no precision what will be done for Painting workflow.
But that is a target for the year. And designs and proposals should be formulated at the end of first trimester.
You will have to ask, again, at the end of March.

1 Like

Thanks zeauro :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

I just can’t help saying how this feature would have made things so much easier while handpainting textures in Blender. Hoping and praying it gets added this year for texture painting mode (not sculpt paint mode).

Anyone know who the developer handling this area is? I am wondering if I can maybe reach out to him. :pray:

Jeroen Bakker I think

1 Like

See https://projects.blender.org/blender/blender/wiki/Home

1 Like

Thanks. I checked the Module: Sculpt, Paint & Texture section:
5re

Seems Julien Kaspar is the coordinator for the image painting module.

@Julien_Kaspar Hi, any chance this small feature for image painting in Blender can be please looked into. :pray: People have been asking about it for about 5 years. I emailed Ton, he assumed this was a feature already in Blender paint. I had to point out to him with several links that it wasn’t so he advised I poke the developers about it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/blender/comments/ncfuzg/how_can_i_lock_the_brush_size_in_texture_paint_so/?rdt=46882

https://cgcookie.com/community/14166-brush-scale-and-viewport-display-mode

This request is also on right-Click Select:

Oh wow that’s a lot of links :smiley:
This is already a feature in sculpt mode for a long time by using “Scene” space as the Radius Unit.

Texture painting is being reimplemented using the feature set of Sculpt Mode as a baseline. So once that is done, this feature will just automatically be supported :+1:
This year developers will be back on that task.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, Julien :slightly_smiling_face:
So we might get it this year?

Unclear if it has the feature parity to replace texture paint mode. But a working experimental version should be done this year.

1 Like

That’s great news. Thanks.

What of if it does not have the feature parity to replace texture paint mode? You would have to develop texture paint mode separately?

It will have parity. There’s not really a point in developing the current texture paint mode past a certain point if it will be completely replaced by a better system.

3 Likes

Ok. Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Julien_Kaspar Is Cycles currently made to render faster with vertex colors than images since sculpt vertex colors is a thing?

If it is faster, what about high poly count of meshes which is required for sculpt color painting?