Loft interior design in progress

I really like this… it has a nice visual appeal. :+1:

However, for me it looks too sterile or impersonal. Not like a home. There is no color. Everything seems to just blend into shades of beige.Even the art on the wall the same lamp shades, and the nick knacks.

Add some art with color… maybe the lamp shades into a different color… accent pillows on the sofa… A splash here and there would really give this a more homey feel to it.

Again, that is just my opinion for what it’s worth. :wink:

Yeah, table top would be no problem. It’s the foot:

Any advice on that one? :smiley:

I mean I know, I can play with the specific texture to texture it sort of OK… But it would need to be procedural for it to really work. I have tried it before, but it’s a lot of work, I am not sure it is worth it for this. And… procedural wood still looks a bit fake no matter what I do.

Mentioned before, but: lighting. (not looking for dingy)

Where I am right now, it’s a grey overcast day… so i totally recognize the lighting.

I really like the mute earth-tones in the design, but I believe this could be made much more appealing with a bright sunny day flooding in from the windows… having big areas of sunbeams contrasting with shadows and less illuminated areas.
:slight_smile: :sun_with_face:

edit:
Show me a bright sunny May day at 10am.
Then show me a December night at 10pm with only installed lighting to create a warm welcoming place.
:slight_smile:

Bear with me. If you were to find a table like you have in real life, and it was to be made of one solid piece, it would be from the trunk of the tree. Not only would you have a 100lb base, but as the trunk was shaped/sanded/sculpted, all you’d see is the growth rings as it went up toward the tabletop. You would not see something like a wood floor wrapping up. Below, assuming this trunk was taller, imagine working with it until it was the shape you want. It would be but stretched rings basically all the way up.

And given that little bit of practical logic, you also wouldn’t be able to have the tabletop be like you or I have without gluing wood planks together and having real unavoidable seams from different pieces of wood. BUT, to your base, wood can be soaked and bent to achieve impossible shapes that you could not get from the tree naturally by carving into it. So, maybe an option to stay practically valid and not imaginary would be to find real tables that utilize this soak/bend method and give you the ultimate shape you’re after. I made a terrible example, but maybe you can extrapolate what I mean. And you can still use the map project method preferably before you bend or slide along a curve.

Here’s render I made from an actual table.

Anyway, that’s my 75 cents.

Yeah, I mean, it would be made out of glued wood peaces and the grain and rings would not follow the form as a UV mapped texture would, but would just be where they happen to be in the 3d volume, so I would need those glued peaces to be procedural. I know how to do it, I have done some procedural woods in the past

You just basically have a spherical gradient, stretch it in height dimension, make the rings with math modulo, and add all sorts of variation with various noises and then can put your wood boards or a roll of veneer as it would be shaved off in the volume and bake them… You can even deform the mesh geometry then to achieve various deformations. Then add some more 2d noises and variations in color and tones. And now voronoi textures are way more sophisticated then the last time I did it a couple of years ago so they would be perfect for the grain… It’s just… It’s crazy :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Yeah I have all the major wood addons. Unfortunately, they are not intuitive to me, but maybe wood is just that confusing and complex! :laughing:

Suffice to say overall I think this piece is really good with a few minor things noted in some of the comments. Thanks for taking the time and look forward to seeing more!

What wood add-ons do you use? I only use shader nodes…

Let’s see. I have CGLion, Easy Procedural Wood v2 (crazy intense on GPU/CPU and almost unusable), ProWood, Curvature, Alt-Tab, and Sanctus full.

Yeah, well, you obviously have to bake. No way to use those node groups in a project that needs to be rendered. I think they are pretty much just doing what I am doing any way. This takes too much effort. I think we’ll just pretend the table is covered with veneer, even though the actual product the model is made after is solid.

I think technically, it could be done with veneer. It could be glued in narrowing strips. It just makes little sense to do that and it wouldn’t ever be made like that… But it should be possible so hopefully believable. :smiley:

1 Like

I think its wonderful scene, great lighting can be tweaked a little bit but the realism is dope! GREAT JOB

I like the way the space is used, the clean lines, the furniture and accessories. I like neutral colors like the earthy tones you’ve decided on, but that needs to be balanced with a pop of color if I were living there. Brown and green are best friends :smiley:

A pop of color?

(Sorry for the bad PS. I did this pretty quickly.)

Just some ideas. The image on the wall was snagged off Google, so, probably ©, but colors. I would also have one of those walls have a nice color to it too, but, that’s all you’ll get out of me today.

Also, I haven’t responded before now to your comment about procedural wood, but I often find it is worth the effort to use procedural wood textures. They can supplement a PBR wood very nicely in places like table legs and the like.

(Everything I say should be taken with a grain of salt, though, as I Am Not A Professional™.)

(BTW, I actually have those curtains. They’re awesome and I love them.)

It’s certainly interesting, but in my view this does not go in line with the chosen style at all.

We are actually planning to make another variation of this space in a different style with colors very much like that :smiley: , but this color palette would be contradicting this style very much, which, while could be viewed like an artistic statement, is not something we are after now. For these colors to work, the furniture style should probably be changed as natural materials sort of loose their purpose(unless it’s some sort of bold artistic statement) - I mean if you want color and more contemporary feel happy kind of mood, why not go with materials that would communicate that as well?.. I hope we manage to complete the other version as well. I think you would like that a lot better and the high contrast in styles would be nice for our portfolio.

We did consider making some walls green here in the beginning. I liked it a bit more to be honest, but my partner vetoed it :smiley: . Which I don’t actually disagree too strongly about, because on the other hand this is more usual for the style.

I am very glad to see you confirm our suspicions that some people would prefer more colors though.

P.S. Next time I will consider posting a link with cryptomatte masks so no one will have to put that much effort into coloring it :smiley: Thanks for the time!

1 Like

I didn’t mean to look like I was suggesting you make changes — I was just playing with it. (Nor do I suggest I have any idea what I’m doing. I’d have to play with the overall color temperature much more to pull it together anyway. As is I just clipped & colorized a few things without regard for anything else.)

I know that often there are parameters that you cannot change in arch viz, and often arch viz prefers a more monotone color palette anyway. The sepia feel works well in your piece. I don’t have data, but I presume it is because people respond better to the idea of purchasing a space that hasn’t already been colored in. That happens in physical real estate sales as well.

Also, I don’t know if I’d worry about posting any masks for the lot of us. I just get an occasional kick out of playing with a piece I like to see if I can develop a better idea of what colors would work for me…

My comment about the use of procedural wood was real, though.

Glad you got some use out of it. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I understand, I think I got the gist of it.

I cannot hide behind this one too much this time I am afraid :smiley: There was an actual client so some decisions were made considering the situation and we are still going with that, but circumstances changed and there is more freedom now. The space is real, but it’s basically just limited by our guesses about what people like and what looks good. I got a lot of feedback about adding more color here. I think it would be logical to take that into account, but I think the changes will be more subtle. My experience is that there are a lot of people who don’t like it to be very colorful(or at least as colorful as I would have thought 7 years ago before working in an interior design studio). The idea is to address color with another version and this one should remain for those who like it more calm.

Well in any case, it is the first time I try to do interior design “on my own”. I mean I work with another designer, but we both work on design this time. It will not end up being perfect, but I like it very much as far…

Some reference photos of the actual solid wood table. I’ll give the procedural way a quick go to see how it goes, but reserve the option of abandoning it any time. :smiley: :smiley:

I can definitely copy surface imperfections though. That seems OK. It’s a problem with design process: I don’t want to spend a lot of time on something before we know we like it and then it gets forgotten and left as modeled in the first place without much effort. That’s how details like that got skipped.

1 Like