Logarithmic zbuffer

I was thinking that the GE devs might be interested in this:
Journal of Lethargic Programmers

I know this is not entirely applicable to the GE as most games made with it would not have these scales, but it would still be a nice feature for GLSL mode so that someone using the GE would no longer have to worry about z-fighting. By the look of it, it seems easy enough to program. (It would also be nice to extend the maximum sight distance past 500,000 BU if you do decide to implement this.)

hasnt a thread been made about this before?

Yes indeed, it was second thread to come up after a search. Oops, I guess I should have checked first.

Though it seems as if no one really responded to it. Don’t know why, this is the most impressive real-time graphics acheivement since … well I’m not really sure what to compare it to, maybe the first jump to real 3D.

WOAH! This is like the most awesome improvement since…??? I don’t freaking know .P
I hope this get’s added to the trunk XD

I made a very simple implimentation. I was suprised how easy it was.

Now I just need to set up a scene to show this off. (and make sure it does what they say it does)

Attachments

logarithmic_zbuffer.blend (146 KB)

Don’t know why, this is the most impressive real-time graphics achievement since … well I’m not really sure what to compare it to, maybe the first jump to real 3D.
I “believe” something similar was used in the Infinity Engine.

Take a look at 2:30 in this video.

Anyways, this is still cool.

Actually, he made that video before he discovered the new z-buffer method, but he has said that he will be using it from now on. (I believe he said that, that video was made using some tricks with splitting up the scene into several real-time rendering passes.)

It was origionally from the Infinity website that I found this method.

EDIT: link

Anyway, I took the incentive to do this:
Link
It was so easy, I was able to do it!

What is so diff on this file ?
What is special ?

That file had a GLSL script running in it with the new z-buffer, but you couldn’t see any difference because it was an ordinary scene.

The newer link that I posted is to a thread that has a .blend that actually has a scene that can show what the script is doing.