Logic Brick AI Programming?

I am particuarly impressed with the powerful features available in the Game Engine Realtime buttons, and an excellent example of their flexibility is Zero Consequences, the little-seen FPS that seemingly uses only logic bricks.

Anyway, I was wondering whether it would be possible to design a node-like system of AI logic.

For instance, an enemy (represented as a block “Enemy”) sees the player, and could either fight or flee. The Enemy block is physically linked to the Player block by a line, and by double clicking the Enemy, you can specify attack patterns, apply animations, sound effects, death animations etc by use of button style programming.

The programming system could be specially presented to make the designer methodically define reactions in the proper order, leading to less confusion.

This could be backed up with python scripting, and whole ‘webs’ of AI could be represented… What do you think?

Sounds nice, but the current reality is: You can’t get far without python.

Although, come to think of it, even if you could make something decent with logic bricks only, why would you want to? I mean one script is much easier to look over and modify than a whole crap load of logic bricks.

So, in short, don’t hold your breath. The system you describe won’t be around for quite some time. Right now, I suggest learning python:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80826

If you are looking for a few AI examples for the BGE, you can look over the ones I made for delmarco in this thread:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82180

Hmm…

Thanks! :o

one reason for using logic bricks before python is, as I understand it, that python takes more CPU and will slow down the game

That cycle overhead is negligable if you do things right. All the heavy work is done in C/++ anyway, since all you do with python is call to those preset engine functions.

Just like with the game companies that use C++ instead of running everything under pure C code (which runs a little faster).

The little speed that is lost (if any) is really insignificant compared to the gains of increased manageability.

The little speed that is lost (if any) is really insignificant compared to the gains of increased manageability.

I agree, fully. python is wonderful. Just tried to answer the question