Login [June 11 Update: New renderS on PG 2]

hahah!! Year. you did it robertt!

the environment is now sooooo much better and really cool. The character fits better with the background colors and the hoses are oh sooo cool.
The only thing that i still think could be better is the graininess especially on the gold-metall parts.

Wow, could it be that all those crits really gave you a boost? this is for sure on of the best pictures from you (imho, of course).

Can only repeat: You’re an artist, robertt.

SirVer

YES! Now thats more like it! Thats the sort of work I have come to expect. Damn good work, mate!

dante

Top notch!
nothing more that I can say :slight_smile:

• Bentagon

one correciton: use :smiley: !

block01cube: Thank you very very much! :slight_smile:

Jay Eff: I am relieved this is better after so much work and appreciate your writing again. It means a lot to me.

Alltaken: Thank you VERY much Alltaken! This character quickly grew to mean a lot to me, so I’m happy the second render does her justice!

SirVer: Big sigh of relief :smiley: Thank you very much for the kind words SirVer. The persistence definitely paid off! :smiley:

dante: THANK YOU so much dante :slight_smile:

Bentagon: Thanks Bentagon!!

Dracarys: I appreciate that :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

All that… and a yet another render coming up :wink:

RobertT

A new image, this time just a closeup of the character (now named Xytherra):

Light a little too strong, but I’m not going for anything at all here, just to show the character a little more clearly. So pay no attention to the useless background :stuck_out_tongue:

And now a wire…

Mesh is lower poly than this, just subdiv turned up a bit so it looks smoother.

I’m going to post another thread in a different part of this forum concerning the way I came up with the wire image. I’ll add the link here once I’ve done so.

UPDATE:
Here’s the link to the wireframe thread :wink:

RobertT

The thing I always enjoy about your renders is the attention you give to the shaders. That always adds the the quality.

The flaw with this render however was not just in the setting. I’m going to have to disagree with a lot of people and say that I don’t think it was all that well modelled. You have a lot to learn modelling human forms. The head is egg-shaped, the pelvic bone isn’t very distinct (love handles) and the fat that you modelled isn’t evenly distributed. Now I can probably guess some of replies some people are going to have to this… “It’s a cyborg, not a human,” and, “I don’t like seeing the anatomically perfect models at CGTalk.” These aren’t good reasons to make models like this. There are cases where that is applicable (like if you were to create a more squared form, or make places for plugs and etc) but an egg shaped head is a clear sign of someone who isn’t very practiced at modelling humans, as well as the effect of the legs coming from the bottom instead of attaching at the side of the pelvis. Even though you may not want to, try to model a “perfect” human a couple of times, paying close attention to muscles, bone structure and the way it affects the shape of the body, and other bulges.

I hope this helps in your progression as a modeller.

Thank you shbaz for taking the time to comment on this work. I completely agree in that I can certainly learn more yet concerning modeling human forms. I’m not new to human forms, but out of the dozens I’ve done only a few come close to being what I think people would likely consider good, as those more consciously adhere to what people expect in terms of preferred proportions. I obviously didn’t go that route in this model :slight_smile: I see how the extended forward/downward angular mouth hardware could lead to the impression the head is egg shaped, but the multiple angles in the wip thread give a better idea of the overall shape (which is still somewhat irregular for humans), as well as the rest of the model’s shape, which is not orthodox in terms of human form (but it wasn’t designed like that). Concerning the legs, her hip joints contract and expand (she’s in a rest positioni here – notice in “Login” her hip joints are somewhat more revealed). Much more could be improved though, so I’m pleased to hear what people think so I can carry the insight and experience to the next blend, especially when it comes to actual human forms :slight_smile: And I am working on and off on such an anatomically “perfect” individual, which, unlike this particular project, is a study of the human form. I work full time in a public library and every day encounter people of all kinds, shapes and sizes, and that’s a constant education in itself, to interact with such diverse individuals, which helps, among other things, to counteract what we might be compelled to believe, through places like cgtalk as you said, what people should resemble. In my experience of many years of art study, true human form is challenging in terms of design (2D or 3D) yet ever beautiful to study and not without controversy, artist to artist, when it comes to the subjective area of anticipated proportions. Michelangelo’s sculptures (e.g. Pieta, David) attain near perfection of human form, and those show us what could be done if we were to work at something with a view towards perfection, which is the goal of my so-called “Project Galatea,” to create a “perfect woman” :slight_smile: (the irony of which is that I know there is no such thing and that imperfection itself is more interesting and realistic). I’m fascinated by all forms, organic and technical, and will continue to work at it all, so thanks again for providing some very helpful insight! :slight_smile:

RobertT

:o

I didn’t know Samus Aran had a sister! j/k :smiley: Excellent work, as usual.8)

-Raseri