Logo??

Did this super quick in Adobe Illustrator. You stuff needs more contrast. It’s a logo right? so it needs to be seen. Also, the symbol should be smaller than the name.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]269157[/ATTACH]

I agree with that last post. The background is grungy and interesting, but the logo and name really jump out. Also, the square looks much better than the star, IMO. Also, remember to keep the title bigger than the logo. The logo on the Man of Steel poster is huge because everyone recognizes the superman symbol, whereas fewer people would understand the name “Man of Steel”.

defeator has the right idea. You can play with ideas and such in Blender. But, I would really create the final logo in Illustrator.

Oh, and I like the square over the star.

The thing I always suggest with logos, make different sizes. If something does not look good at a smaller size…don’t use it. I’ve seen beautiful large logos turn horribly wrong because someone decided not to test it at small sizes, like for business cards and envelopes.

@tc2466, I agree with you about being mindful of logo sizes. Another thing that some designers will do is not just scale the logo up and down, but create slightly different versions of it for different needs. That way, a company/organization can have something that’s appropriate for narrow, tall, small, and large applications. With this logo, the gaps between the star’s shapes might be widened in the small version so they don’t disappear or fill with ink when printing, and left the current size for large uses. In any case, I’ll also echo the comment that Illustrator is where a flat graphic logo like this should be designed.

Out of the versions shown so far, I’d agree that the square in the centre works the best. As others have also said, Illustrator will serve you well for a flat logo like this. Since you’re in Blender though, you have a great opportunity to add some very subtle 3D depth to it. Don’t get too carried away and end up with big blocky elements though!

The last image posted by defeater905 looks best. But it is not because he didn’t use Blender but perhaps because he is more experienced desiger :slight_smile: Let’s learn from this example.

Some basic things to keep in mind:

• logo is a shape, it should work in monochrome so you can use it in stencil, engravings, etc.
  • brand colors are another (important) design task
  • logo is more than text but not always separable from it
  • you can combine your logo, name, brand colors in multiple ways, these compositions are what you have posted so far
  • when making graphics composition always remember to make use of the whole histogram, meaning the whole range from black to white, otherwise your design easily looks washed out

Now talking about the logo in question:

It bothers me a bit that the line between the core parts and the line between inner and outer parts are different width without no obvious reason. Have you tried the logo with equal width? The line between inner parts is perhaps too narrow to be distinguishable from distance, which is important in logo design.

Another thing I find little discomforting is the ratio of masses. The hole in the middle, the inner parts and outer parts all form visual mass that need to be balanced or have interesting ratios. I feel that you should maybe try to scale things a bit because I’m sure there’s a ratio there that pleases the eye more than what you have so far. I might advice starting with the inner pieces and try to make them less massive in relation to other elements. Then again ratio patterns such as 1:2:4 are also good, but you need to build balance or motion very carefully with such.