Lone Island

A simple scene made as a personal exploration project. Everything assembled in Blender 3.0 and rendered with Octane 2021.1.1 using new AOVs system. Some minor post is done in Photoshop.

I was testing new Octane and I need a scene for that. Basically I started a central scene where I began placing nature assets. Once I was happy with initial composition of rocks and fallen trees I began working on shading the ground and adding textures to the assets.

The scene was progressing and I added water. My goal was to have an organic feel to this small island so I used geometry nodes for scattering systems and added grass. Because it was pretty bare at that point. I manually distributed grass with hand painted weight maps. As a final touch I brought in the trees to the scene to build the contrast against the sky and bring natural shadows in one of the shots.

At the end I went experimenting with new AOVs system Octane is building in its latest builds and was experimenting with the nodes. The initial experience while somewhat cumbersome was still quite positive since you can have a lot of control over your image in viewport even before you go for final renders. This level of flexibility is definitely a quite welcome change. I created separate controls for fog so it was easier to create natural atmospheric depth in the scene and also prepared a couple of masks for the output to control some areas in the post in Photoshop. This all made my workflow faster and easier to handle.

47 Likes

Really nice. Nowadays I am desperately searching for a great way to create proper trees. Sappling, Mtree, grease pencil, modelling, I have tried em all.
I’m curious, how did you create the trees? With Sapling?

1 Like

I used bought assets for trees. But if I had time for making trees and foliage on my own I’d go SpeedTree route. But even then I’d probably had to buy good textures for bark, leaves etc.

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

2 Likes

Hello @AlexeyAdamitsky
can I ask which Blender plugin release did you use from Otoy? Or did you use Standalone Octane for this scene?

And yes the picture looks great. Do you work with linear workflow when working with Octane for such scenes?

Thank you

1 Like

I used the latest custom Blender build with Octane available for subscribed users - 2021.1.1. It’s a beta build so I used it because I wanted to test latest features available. It’s was very stable for me thought.

No, not really. My Blender Octane environment is setup to work linearly in ACES but at the final step I outputted in 16bit sRGB since it was more than enough and I didn’t need to do further heavy post-production of the image.

It’s actually one of the reasons I decided to test AOVs. They allow you to do a lot of post-production in real time. Which is really great for small to medium projects. I think something similar is planned for Cycles as well where all compositing will be real time in viewport. But we can have it now already with Octane.

Thank you. I see. Do you recommend any learning material for this new AOVs in Octane? How to set it up in nodes?

I assume the same process with AOVs in Octane would be similar in Cinema 4D or Houdini as in Blender plugin?

There aren’t really a good source for that yet since Otoy is rebuilding how AOVs work in Octane and I think they’ll phase out passes eventually. But there are two the most recent videos from Lino Grandi you can follow to get an idea how to use it.

Can’t say for Houdini but it’s pretty similar in Cinema 4D. You can transfer knowledge from Cinema 4D + Octane to Blender + Octane quite easily in most cases. It’s how I learn most of the stuff about Octane anyway.

3 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate your advice and all help :+1:

Oh this looks so peaceful, I love it.