Long Exposure Photography

well this is my first post in the traditional forums, anyway this is a long exposure shot, 16 seconds, of a water feature in the town square near where i live. i’ve never really played with long exposures before so any feedback would be great. and i know some bits in the far right hand side look a bit too over expsosed. the only post pro done was some very slight green correction and overall de-saturation.

thanks
tim

http://home.iprimus.com.au/snapper63/water.jpg

Very artistic. Looks like glass!

Cool indeed! too bad it’s so small, or I’d use it as a wallpaper. Was this takenn with a digital camera?

it sure was taken with a digital camera, what size do you want? the link to the 1024x768 is http://home.iprimus.com.au/snapper63/water2.jpg

It’s an interesting use of long exposure photography… a nice change of pace after looking at two billion pictures with streaks of headlights.

Digital? I would have thought large-format. No, there are some converging lines in there…

Nevermind. It’s a good shot. Any sort of shot like this is going to be a compromise of exposure-values. If you’re doing the shot digitally, consider shooting several different ones with the camera locked-down. Each exposure will be ‘ideal’ for a different part of the scene. Put them on separate layers and merge the best ones together to get a seamless composite that’s ideal for all the areas at once. If the camera is tightly locked down, each image will register perfectly with all the others.

i take it by large format you mean a much bigger image? anyways it is much much bigger than that, i just scaled it down so it wasnt a 3meg d/l for anyone who wanted to see it. anyways i did actually do a couple of shots, but i couldnt mate them in a way i was satisfied with, so i just left it the way it was.

I have to say thanks for my new wallpaper <3 i just love every bit of it, the buildings, signs, lighting - its just the best _b
I look forward to seeing some other work.

wow thanks, i too have it as my background, anyways i plan on putting up photos of my exploits over the coming weeks…actually im gonna post one this morning so keep an eye out.

tim

i take it by large format you mean a much bigger image? anyways it is much much bigger than that, i just scaled it down so it wasnt a 3meg d/l for anyone who wanted to see it. anyways i did actually do a couple of shots, but i couldnt mate them in a way i was satisfied with, so i just left it the way it was.[/quote]
No, in this case I am referring to a large-format (film) camera. One of those big jobbies that some folks like to call “old fashioned,” with a bellows and a ground glass and a lens that projects the picture on the glass (and on the 4x5, 5x7, 8x10" or even larger sheet of film) upside down and backwards … exactly how an image is supposed to be. :wink:

The key feature of such a camera is that the plane of the lens and the plane of the film can be adjusted independently, allowing one to eliminate converging lines in architectural shots. (Search for “Scheimpflug principle” on Google.) It also allows the shooting of pictures where everything … and I mean everything is in perfect, sharp focus at the very same time.

Very nice - looks like glass!

What camera did you use?

Brian