Long RenderTimes and splitting it up.

I’ve a nice PC, but not for (animated)rendering…
3GhZ
512MB Ram, 1024+ Virtual.
XP
But… so slow, even the school-pc’s are faster. Should it help if I create an new account, and render in it, I think many unnecessary processes aren’t running then. Any other solution?

I’ve heard from Renderfarms… are there any online farms?

Another question, I think is it possible, I just need to know sure, can I split it up in multiple animated renders, and paste them together in WindowsMovieMaker.

Oh, just for others to know, I’m gonna to try to make an page on my schools-ASP.Net-server, where I can submit a .blend, and the blender is gonna render it from commandline.

Multiple questions in one topic, better then one question in multiple topics.

You can split it up into multiple renders, and paste them together in Blender. There are on-line render farms. Don’t know whether logging into another account will help, if you try it, let us know. The codec you are using will affect how long a render takes, but it ususally isn’t too significant a difference.

Thanks for the info. But how do I paste them together in Blender? (Sequencer… how)(I s going to find a tutorial for it).

Are (fluid)bakings splittable?

Haven’t used them. Are they actually rendered? If so, you should be able to render to individual jpgs or pngs, and split them up any way you want.

What is rendered?
The fluids? Thay are baked, but not rendered, that will cost to much time, but know, I’m going to split it, in 10 frames , ehm that’s… 600/10=60 render sessions…:frowning:
Try fluids, they are fun (and sometimes frustrating)(water flowing trough an face…)

I think I know enough about it now.

First make sure the OS isn’t swapping. This usually causes some serious slowdown. Do you use raytracing? If so, have you set properly octree resolution?

It’s possible to render an animation to a sequence of images (e.g. png) and then put them at once into a video file. Try playing with with start end frame in Scene Panel > Anim Tab. Set a desired range and let Blender render, if you have more computers, set different range on each.

I don’t know if fluid baking can be split, but I seriously doubt it’s possible, because each frame of the animation is dependant on previous.

dykam, every home computer out to date will take long on fluid sims and animation rendering (with proper looking fluids).

i have similar stats on my desktop, and an animation of 600 frames would take aproximately 48 hours (800x600 and if the water has raytrans and raymirror).

its just how it is.

my laptop does 2800 frames in 72 hours, AAO + raymirror (tv resolution), its a core2duo

i think with a quad core you could down it to around 24h, but thats as long as it will take.
there is specific hardware manufacturers that make render workstations, like BOXXtech (up to 16 cores and 32GB ram), this would probably make it “fast”, for the price of around 50.000 usd.

things that slow down rendering:
-raytracing of any kind
-AO (even AAO slows down, it only is substantially faster than ray-AO on complex scenes)
-particles and big halo-materials
-high resolution
-big textures (over 10mb jpgs)
-(full) OSA
-high polygon count
-subsurf
-multires
-many light sources
-motionblur (the button in the renderoptions, not the node)

@Myn.Pheos;
OS-Swapping? Do you mean ram<-> harddrive, or multiOS?

I’m gonna to split it in multiple raw-avi’s, and then paste it together.

@AdamTM;
I know every computer will take long to render… but my parents don’t want the computer stays on for a long time, max of 4-5 hours a day. Parents…

No change of getting a new pc, maybe after 1 year and broken Pc. -_-

My heavy stuff is raytracing (water-fluid), subsurf and Hi-ress render.

Edit: This is what I’m gonna to render, it took 15+ minutes. The whole film is 600 frames…

Old Render:

Which one do you like the most? (Matreial, not shape).

Attachments

Memory swapping, not changing OS. Considering you do only this fluid sim, I think this isn’t the problem.

The second, but you have to increase ray depth, which will slow down rendering significantly. If you’re doing also reflection, I think you can turn that off, or at least lower to depth of 1. And use Z-transp for the glass, it might save some time.

Raytracing a fluid in a box is a bit expensive calculation if you don’ have powerful enough hardware. Try to lover the resolution, making full HD movie is a bit too much for our PC. Rendering time is directly proportional to resolution, so lowering resolution to 50% will cut the rendering time to something more than quarter, I think it’s worth to consider.

Hmm, the second… I’ll try to re-create that material.

Ray-Depth… I will change it to 4… instead of 2.
The glass has already only z-transp instead of Ray-Trans.
Reflection->Ray-Mirror? that’s off.

Hmm, is the baking-reso not only affecting the baking-times? (Yeah, also more triangles, but that’s the same effect as having more subsurf…)
I got bad experiences with low baking-reso’s.

(New Blender Feature-request :P, make it possible to split everything up…)

Are you rendering directly to movie or are you rendering to images? Take a look at the manual at http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Rendering_Animations and see the workflow for rendering to images and later on compositing the images together in the sequencer.
This will at least enable you to spread the animation render across computer sessions.

Hmm, rendering to images… Then, I can stop it at all time, an continue later, thanks for the idea.