Look At It So Real

I like the song :slight_smile:

Yes, blender can do a composite like that, is needed a camera tracking like voodoo, some tweaks in the matnodes and composite nodesā€¦ that video is a lot of work, dont matter what program the artist useā€¦ in production many companies say they use more than a software because not always find what they wantā€¦ but in blender you have a complete packageā€¦

Renegade :

What is that you are so impressed with ? I get the feeling that you havenā€™t seen very many CGi/Video animations and are simply blown away by this technology . This is a good example , but not a great example , by any means .

Iā€™d like to provide you with more info on how to attain this kind of effect , with Blender , or almost any 3D app , but I think I best play it safe with you , and ask what it is , exactly that you are so curious about .

Judging by your post , your attitude , etc , I would have to say that you have no intentions of becoming part of the Blender Community . Too bad . Your loss . Then again , maybe Iā€™m wrong about that part . Hope so , and hope you decide to stay , learn and maybe adjust your demeanor , just a hair or 2 .

good luck

MADCOW pointless huh ? I DONT SEE ANY HUMANS IN YOUR VIDEO DO YOU? HMM

http://www.vimeo.com/1168263

UNDERSTAND first , this is about compositing humans and the real environment with cg ,

unfortunatley what you shown me again is only cg with a a background ā€¦

hmmm where are thes shadows and reflections blended into the scene? where are the humans huh pointless you say try composting your cg with humans at a slower pace

@BETA TESTER -nah i dont mean to be rude but look at the first reply i got ,the person didnt even appreciate the youtube video that through me off i mean why does he have to be so n egative ? but anyway lets talk about the video ,i mean look at the video it has shadows reflections the little details composited all together with real life scenes and people , now thats whats impressed me i know there are more videos far more better,but i decided to ask if blenders capable of reproducing the exact same reults keep in mind with respect to compositing -cg+REALWORLD +humans
-beta tester i never mean to be rude ever,i use blender all the time but i like to ask questions too

@nicknamez nice You have finally answered the question without the humans but it would be nice to have a moving background plus some human like in the video

@scabootssca I like the music too its very pleasent

OK one question for everyone if you dont like the video than give a reason as to why you dont like it? instead of saying that its not worth it or point less etc justify with examples and answers

Well, last I checked, Blender is Open Source.
This means that if you canā€™t find what youā€™re looking for, you MAKE it.

Granted, not many of us can do that, but the point is:
If you have the skill and/or patience
THERE ARE NO LIMITS.

If youā€™re so interested in seeing this in Blender, I might suggest a feature request.
But I might also suggest improving your delivery.

No need (for a feature request) .

Voodoo is first rate , and free to use . http://www.digilab.uni-hannover.de/docs/manual.html

Better is SynthEyes http://www.ssontech.com/ (not free , but worth every penny)

The results of course , depends on the artist , how they ā€œsellā€ the immersion (relections/shadows/alpha masking of the foreground objects/etc)

All it takes is Voodoo , the tutorial , a camera-phone , and Blender ( plus a little time to learn your craft , of course)

best

Yes.

Which is not necessarily the fault of blender.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6771/capacitymbenk6.jpg8http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6771/capacitymbenk6.jpg

#THERE IS NOTHING MORE TO SAYā€¦ !!!11111eleven22111

I think thatā€™s a pretty cool video. Itā€™s a shame that youā€™ve used it to create a thread like this.

Having said that, however, it should be obvious from a quick look at the better Blender works on these forums that the 3d part of that movie could easily be done in Blender (modeling, rigging, animation, lighting, etc.). The only exception being the camera tracking, I suppose.

The 2d part (compositing) would be more difficult, and I suspect is not possible using only Blender. This is mainly because of needing to pull mattes for foreground elements of the live footage and dealing with blending real/virtual shadows.

I guess it really depends on how youā€™re judging Blender. If youā€™re judging it as a 3d app like Maya or XSI, then absolutely Blender can do whatever the 3d app used for this film did.
On the other hand, if youā€™re judging Blender as an all-in-one solution to problems that with commercial apps are typically solved using a combination of several software packages, then you might indeed find Blender lacking.

Blender is just a tool (and happens to be the tool that offers the possibility to an artist to do similar composition to the one shown in that short), but, the thing that I liked most in the video was actualy the idea, the concept and the storyā€¦ and thereā€™s no tool to help you make that, is thereā€¦ :wink:

Practice and study blender a couple of years and you can see for your self.

Edit: Hoo! Wait a minute! Holly crap :evilgrin: I completly forgot that I also did something like this in the past :stuck_out_tongue:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=111433&highlight=Megami+girl

Just wanted to sayā€¦ Hanger No.5 :yes:

you know i fail to see why some people think i,m satan from hell or something like that all ive ever done is ask questions study my comments
but its nice to see people linking up stuff i think we can close this thread i got my answer
HANGER NO.5 is good enough actually better .

polygoneuk has answered my question!!! thanks and now i know

Check these out. Particularly Suburban Plight, which I think has all the elements youā€™re looking for:

http://www.peerlessproductions.com/films.html

Hereā€™s a tut on how it was done.

http://www.peerlessproductions.com/tuts.html

Side note, this is a really obnoxious thread.

The example you provided is good, but I think it needs some final tweaking because there are too many lighting, shadow, and animation issues (e.g. - sandals intersecting the ground plane). It looks like it needs one final editing pass. The tracking is good, for the amount that I watched. I didnā€™t get past the first 22 seconds because of the mentioned issues. Iā€™m guessing that they ran out of time for completing the project and thatā€™s why they didnā€™t address the easily-fixed issues. They clearly have the skills to get it right. Itā€™s a cool short.

And yes, Blender is quite capable of this and so much more.

Iā€™ve seen people do mattes in blender using curves; however it looks extremely laborious (it is in any program- since you have to mask for each frame), but I think the blender curve tools arenā€™t designed for that purpose, so they might be a bit harder to use (just guessing).
Overall, Iā€™d say if you wanted to do this ā€œin blenderā€ you would use another app for the motion tracking, export the track to blender, render, and then either composite in blender or in say shake. you could edit in blender (I donā€™t see anything particularly hard about the editing here)
but I donā€™t get the overly challenging tone of the post.
Incidentally, I doubt the original video was done in one program; motion tracking, 3d, compositing and editing were probably each done in a seperate app.
Last: the ability of the artist/s using the programs is more important than the software itself for most things, it just makes the job take longerā€¦ (i.e. you could even do the motion tracking by hand in blender- Iā€™ve done it before, for an extremely hard to track handheld shot)

In addition to Cessens great postā€¦

The 2d part of the video is not impossible to do in blender, but itā€™s much harder. To get the people masked out and appear on top of the 3d-character you need to rotoscope. There is no tool in blender made for that purpose, but you could make a nurbs surface with its control points parented to emptys, then animate those to make the surface cover the humans. Then you have to render out the rotoshape and use it in the compositor. See, not impossible, but really time consuming and dumb if you have tools made especially for rotoscoping. A free application for windows is this one http://www.cinegobs.com/
The shadows shouldnā€™t be as hard. With enough render passes itā€™s just a matter of compositing them to together in a good way with color correction, transparency, blur and so on.

The camera matching isnā€™t impossible to do either. You can do it manually, but then it would probably take you at least half a year with the video you linked to. You know when they did Jurassic Park, there were no matcmoving software and all the cg + live action had to be matched by handā€¦ Yippie :-}
I would recommend paying for syntheyes if your going to make something serious.

In the end it is all about the artist. For a ā€œsimpleā€ thing like this video you need skills for a lot of techniques and to get skills you need time. Time, which most of the blender users donā€™t have, because we are hobbyist. And if most of us donā€™t have time to get mad skills, how should we have time doing this in our spare time?

You seem to have the itch to do something like this? Thatā€™s because you ask if blender can do it? Iā€™ll look forward to see your result. Good luck and please pm me when your done, I would love to see your result :wink:

Anybody ever seen this? link

eh?

edit: haha, you beat me

HOW you ask is as important as WHAT you ask.

Your first post was all in caps, so you started out shouting. The post was ambiguous (to me at least) as the clip was entertaining, but pretty ropey on the animation stakes and it was so NOT going for a ā€œrealā€ look, your post came across as irony (look at this unrealistic boxy character, how real) or a flame. (can blender do something thsi ropey?) Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™m not bashing the piece, i thought it was a great success at what it was doing, just in the context of outstanding exercises in photorealism itā€™s pretty mediocre.

In follow up posts you DEMANDED PROOF that blender was up to the task in a very confrontational and in your face way. Peopleā€™s (to my eyes valid) blender alternatives were derided by you for not having live action figures in, but weā€™re not mind readers so donā€™t know specifically what you were looking for.

Personally I wouldnā€™t have bothered responding as itā€™s clear to me at least what blenderā€™s capabilities are, but Iā€™m writing this post because you are showing a distinct lack of self awareness. You are coming across like a jerk at best or some kind of spoiled schoolboyā€¦

Ah well.

According to a quote from Nathan Matsuda (the director of Hanger No. 5) on Blender Nation:

Weā€™re using Blender for modeling, rigging, shading, animation, and renderingā€¦

This makes me suspect that the compositing etc. was probably done in another app.

slikdigit: I handnā€™t thought of using Blender curves for mattes. Thatā€™s pretty clever. But yeah, it would probably be fairly tedious. I presume thereā€™s a way to place the footage in the 3d window that would allow you to do rotoscope traces like that? Or maybe put the curves directly in the compositing viewer? Otherwise it seems like the tedium would be prohibitive for anything of length.