Looking for a $1200 or less computer for blender

You’re right, I mean I5 9600, and it is more like almost😇

I know it’s just rendering time and not overall performance, but it should be a good indicator anyway

*Edit
Hm… I dig a little bit because it really strange the price/performance ratio and I was wrong.
You can’t actually rely on the benchmark this way because it depends on which scene that renders while doing the benchmark.
If I filter the benchmark with exactly the same circumstances the i5 9600 is actually faster by around 10 percent.

But it’s still better in terms of price/performance

Note that rendering performance benefits more from multi core. OP was asking more in regards to single core perfomance scenarios, hence my recommending an intel CPU at this time at all.

1 Like

Maybe, this is the origin of my knowledge about the new Ryzen series, so I am not a real expert.

I bought a Windows 10 license for 5 dollars on e-Bay last year. I checked the seller reviews for high ratings. It was perfect.
Since then I have had no problems. Upgrades are normal etc. In fact, I bought a new hard drive recently and re-installed windows on it and upgraded Winows. Prefect as usual.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xwindows+10.TRS0&_nkw=windows+10+pro+key&_sacat=0

Oh, the sellers usually disappear on ebay, for some reason. I didn’t get a chance to leave a positive review.

Here’s a comparison (including many Single/Multi threaded workloads) comparing Ryzen 7 3700X to Core i7-9700k.

For the price savings of 20% cheaper for the Ryzen, the single threaded performance difference is negligibly slower while the multi threaded performance is significantly faster. Plus a significant power reduction for the R7 3700X

If you want VR, you will need more $$ on GPU and if you want large assets you will want $$ on RAM.

The cooler the R7 3700X comes with is adequate for running the CPU, it only uses 90W of real power at load. The $$ on a cooler are better spend on other components.

Edit: Sorry Spin, this was not meant to be a response to you.

No problem. I can use any advice, being that I have been so busy the past year, I am not up to date on the newest hardware.
Hey, I am looking to upgrade to a newer computer too, very soon. $3,000.00+ is my budget. I build my own PCs, always have. The one I have now feels slow at 4.2GHZ 4 core AMD. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660.

The students at CMU have computers that use up to 6 NVIDIA graphic cards. Why? Because they use the GPUs as hundreds and hundreds of processing cores for their projects. That’s got to be up to at least $12K for a pc.

If a laptop is of interest you might consider the following: https://www.newegg.com/fortress-gray-asus-tuf-gaming-tuf706iu-as76-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235407

AMD is having trouble keeping up with demand for this Ryzen 7 cpu so this is usually back ordered.

Blender benchmarks score well with this hardware. https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-4800H-Laptops-just-hit-retail-world-s-fastest-mobile-CPU-demolishes-top-end-Intel-i9-9980HK-in-Cinebench-Blender-AND-Passmark-with-40-percent-lower-power-draw.459423.0.html

They always give prices that are not realistic to what you find when looking for the same parts. This is just 21 century marketing gimmick.