Looking for a method for to control normal map uv dot patterns

How to make “raised 3d UV dot pattern”. I cannot figure out to avoid a somehow “deflated” result (see pic). Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Are you asking how to create that normal map, or how to configure Blender to render with it properly?

If it’s the former, then this is what I made in less than 1 minute with Blender itself:

Create a plane (A), place half-spheres on in in the pattern you want (B), create another plane ©, UV unwrap it and assign new empty image for it in edit mode. Place C directly above the A+B contraption. Note the distance between two planes in Blender units (d).

Select A and B, shift-select C. In the Bake panel, select “Normals”, “Selected to Active” and set Distance to be d. And bake.

If, on the other hand, your question is about configuring Blender to use this normal map, then it’d be nice to know which render engine you want to use.

Hello Friend
Thanks alot! It was actually the latter question I was considering (how to configure settings, I guess). But the cool procedure you demonstrated was quite efficient thus I tried it out also.

Since I – still a bit noob – haven’t reached the “Baking class” yet, I didn’t really know what I was doing but your advice worked very nice and expectively. Though I found it handy also to save the “emty” image to file.

Yet there is my other problem: If you check out the screendump I can’t really manipulate the dots to “stand out” properly, If you understand what I mean. They seems to remain as “lowered blobs” irrespectively settings I submit. Can you give me a clue?

Kind regards,
Mikael

It’s Blender Internal render? Enable “Normal Map” in Image Sampling (a few panels above Influence in default UI).

You know, you should compose tutorials with your skill of informative imagery :slight_smile:

Heureka, now it works!
I forgot to inform you about the render mode. Its the Blender one: It works fine as you suggested.

Thanks for your nice help and your kind praise of my somewhat didactical visuals :wink:
Many regards from Mikael