Looking For Experienced Networker

Before you read this, If your Comment its gonna be something Tipical like " You will never make an online game, its impossible" Or " No one ver made an online blender game!! theres no way u can do this " Or what ever… Dont even post, Dont waste your time…

Okey,So we are looking for a person who is Experienced o python and on sockets, etc, to help us make Our game project “ColdBlood FPS” An Online Game… the game is mostly Done theres stuff to be fixed obiostly But we got almost everything Done so what we need mostly at the moment its just the network :slight_smile:

If you don’t already know about it, this link may help you.

http://www.wsag.ch.vu

Wow nice it looks great ill take a look and read some on that page then ill come back to u :stuck_out_tongue:

ok i took a look at it, but i dont get it XD

There is a sticky thread in the resource forums which talks about a nice networking library called bzoo.

Link

Does anyone even bother looking at the resource forum anymore?

i know about bzoo but i never got it to work and if somehow got it to work… its like… a game? how does that help? :s

i know about bzoo but i never got it to work and if somehow got it to work… its like… a game? how does that help? :s
If I remember correctly, bzoo is only a small template. It has a simple room where users move cubes. The last time I tried bzoo, I remember playing with 2 people.

Bzoo will not work if your firewall blocks blender.

its long sence they took bzoo out ,the servers arent even online anymore i think :frowning: i never got to go online :L

What about LAN gaming? Is there anyway to play a game over a local LAN network? That would be pretty cool.

Bzoo does work over LAN. I found it was a little slow on the updating though. I searched for networking games and I found a tank one. It’s a few years old but the networking code works very well with minimal latency. You can test them out by hosting a game, then connecting to 127.0.0.1 (yourself) on another instance of Blender.

Keep in mind it’s heavily python controlled. If you want to adjust the way it works then be prepared to put in some serious time figuring out the whole system. You won’t just be able to paste in your favourite rigged toon and expect it to move on the other clients.

Before you read this, If your Comment its gonna be something Tipical like " You will never make an online game, its impossible" Or " No one ver made an online blender game!! theres no way u can do this " Or what ever… Dont even post, Dont waste your time…

shotforce: No one will flame you for this post and hopefully no one thinks what your worried about is true. There have been a few games with networking made with blender. Nanoshooter and Crescent Dawn Online are/were actual working online games. Bzoo, and WSAG are/were meant to help users create their own online games, and I’ve seen a couple simple games with working basic networking.

Joe_Stevens: LAN networking works the same way as networking does over the internet, you just have to connect to your local ip. e.g. 192.168.0.100 (default for first connection to most routers). If you can create a game that works over a LAN connection, the only thing in your way for making it work over the internet is your firewall and port forwarding.

shotforce: If you want to use Bzoo, host your own server, and take a look at the networking code. Same goes for WSAG. Not many people are really experienced with python networking in these forums. Your best shot is to get a good python coder to learn it, or learn it yourself. The only good networking coders I know of are busy with their own projects, and probably don’t want to learn how your game works in order to add networking. If you want to make your game work online, your going to have to learn to do it yourself. Just like you did for everything else in your game (I assume).

Your best bet is to look at the code in other games, and try to figure out how they work. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.

Also, get an IRC client and ask questions in the channel #gameblender. You’ll get a faster response.

-Gomer

PS: Use spellcheck, it makes you look more professional, and more people will take your posts seriously. Also, reading your post before you make it can help catch grammatical errors.

one quick thing. is there a way to send a message to an object across a network game? i mean like message sensors and actuators. i’m using WSAG, but it only sends LocRot. i send message, character gets it, armature action change. that’s what i mean.

Ok thanks For all the answers specially Gomer :wink: i will Try to learn it my self even tho it will take YEARS … :stuck_out_tongue: