Looking for Feedback on Robot

Hi, I am looking for feedback on my first character modeling project in Blender 2.91. The project I’m working on is a sci-fi robot. I’m still in the early stages of modeling and drafting so there are still some unfinished parts of this model. I’m reaching a point where I’m running out of ideas and I am wondering if I should go back and fix up some things. I’ve done a mixture of boolean cuts (with the Hard-Ops add-on) and manual hard surface modeling. The actual modeling isn’t the issue anymore as it’s finding inspiration on how to “fill-in” the gaps of the model. I’m really just looking for an honest critique of what I have and any resources for mechanical design and robotic design. Here are some screen shots in editor (I have not applied any booleans so they wouldn’t appear in Cycles):

Any constructive criticism and resources are welcome. I’m still a novice at Blender so I’m always open to good tutorials or best practices to follow. Thanks a ton.

2 Likes

I definitely like it. You’re right, it still feels a bit empty, but as you said, your still in the modeling phase. To fill in the gaps and get ideas, my only advice is to look up reference references and more reference. Search for robots, drones, sci-fi, future, space stuff and look at the small details other people have added to their robots/machines. For example, panels, cables, small displays and screens showing information, lenses etc. I don’t know any resource per se on the topic, except of searching and extracting reference images to image board programs to save them like pure ref for example. This way you can always open your image board/collage and have a look through them!

Edit: I’m also super new to 3D art and blender.

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate your response. That’s a good idea, I’ve looked at some references but I should definitely branch out more. I like the image collage idea, it would help to have a ref. library of sorts.

If You’d just drop a big cloth on it to make it look like a ghost. Would be cool and spooky :smiley:
And it could be the reason why people abandoned towns and never came back…