Looking for realism your criticism appreciated

Attempting to create a futuristic alleyway. Your criticism is appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Like

For starters it’s too dark. Can’t see the details if there are any.

How large of a screen are you viewing it from?

here is the same image with the exposure increased.

Is this better?

It might be just my screen, but I still can’t make out much of anything outside of the splashes of light. The lighting might be realistic, but I don’t think it makes for an interesting composition.

Yes i agree with tiku_67. The image is way to dark. Try to make a bright key Light hitting the robot from the right side of the image
where the Large opening (or wall, i cant make it out) is. Also, turn on depth of field. That should help to focus the attention of the viewer on the robot. Maybe even add some godrays. Also, it probably helps to move the robot more into the background. I think the composition of the image is very good, also the distribution of Details. Focus on improving the lighting of the image. I know its very hard to light an Indoor scene, I made one recently on my own, but this would definitely improve the scene:)

thanks for your input. It is going to be animated so the actual composition is subject as it will be dynamic.

Thanks, I was considering some DOF. need to work on the lighting. may add some practical lighting as if shining from vehicle lights.

I think increasing exposure is the wrong way of doing it. You need to increase the strength of the lights. I would say make the 3 to 5 times stronger.

Thanks I’ll give that a shot.

Here’s “a tip from a famous film photographer [Ansel Adams = Zone System …]” that might come in handy.

Use the histogram tool to pull a graph on your picture. This will show you how prevalent each level of illumination is in your picture. What you generally want is a “centered, bell-shaped curve,” particularly avoiding “spikes” at either end.

Right now, you’ll see: big spikes at the zero-end, muddy spikes not far to the right, a brief spike fairly close to the top, and that’s it. However, this important tool enables you to quantify(!) what you see.

Ansel’s key insight – partly based on film densitometry and the then-optical techniques of preparing printing plates – is that the human eye’s perception of “light and dark” is very much "relative, not absolute." Which you can see right now by switching your computer off. The entire screen of your laptop is not actually “pure black,” even though under the right circumstances it seems so.

The entire background screen of this website, against which you are now viewing this text, is not “black.” Neither is the text that you are now reading “white.”