Looking for some in-depth scale advice

I come here looking for some advice and help . Over the past few months I have started getting to grips with blender and now looking to start doing some more stuff and thinking of creating a little animation , nothing fancy just trying to put the skills I have learnt so far to good use.

Im looking at having a very basic character sitting at chair in an office or somewhere like that then go from there to walking down the corridor then down stairs to outside where they will then walk down the street to there car.

Before I was just following tutorials and using images offline so there hasn’t really been much thought into the scale of the models I have previously been making. I would like to start having appropriate sizes for the models I would put into my scenes so that things dont look out of place or things looking to small or to big in comparison to each and not have like the building on the street look out of place and awkward other so im looking for a bit of help and advice on how I would go about achieving this and how would I know really what size scale I should be making things should I use real life scale sizes that I find online etc

Another quire I have is how would it be best to transfer from one scene to the next ? Would I just be best to add the the parts to each scene on different layers and do it that way or is there any other way someone would recommend?. Hope that all makes scene and thanks for any help

Blender has a system in place that allows for 1:1 scale representation of things. Each grid square within Blender follows the unit system as specified in the Units section. Here I have it set to metric, so each square would be 1x1 metre.

Once you have done this, you can start creating the objects to match that scale. The internet is a great resource to find dimensions of objects. You can simply search for things like height, width, etc. of anything, and if that doesn’t work, you can always just grab a ruler or tape measure and gather the dimensions yourself from the real world.

For singular objects, you may find schematics, diagrams or any sort of illustration that accurately depicts said object. You can import those found images into Blender and model following those images. A reference image feature does this.

Jumping over to handling different scenes, I would recommend you make all the assets in one blend file as the repository that you can grab them from.
You create each scene as a separate file.
When you want to build a scene, just either copy (you can copy objects between blend files by opening one, copying the object, opening the other scene and pasting it in)
There is also the append function that allows for importing sets of objects, materials, etc. from a different blend file. I recommend doing this.

1 Like