looking for Sunflow ported for Windows

I wonder if anybody has win32 ported Sunflow…
Would do it by myself, but have neither skills nor time to get how to do it :expressionless:

It is written in 100% Java so it should be able to run in Windows if Java is installed.

Yes, I know it should, but on the project website there’s only source avaliable. That’s the problem for me. *.jar is not avaliable as far as I know

Download the source into it’s own directory. Then open the README file. The instructions on what to do are there.

I readed >>readme<<, but I’m on Windows XP… if it does matter
And inststructions looks like made for linux users
Am I wrong?

I don’t see anything Linux specific in the README file. If you are having problems with the instructions, make sure that you have the Java 1.5 SDK installed on your computer. You can check by typing ‘java -version’ at the command line. It will tell you what version of the SDK and JVM you have installed (or if you have them installed).

Hey, it just occured to me that you may not be familiar with Java at this level. I apologize in advance if you already know this stuff. For the steps above you need to do at the command line; i.e. the MSDOS prompt. To check to see if the Java SDK is installed, type:

java -version

The first line in the output should read something like ‘java version “1.5.0_05”’ if the JSDK is installed. Any other lines should tell you about the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) used, and the Just In Time Compiler (JIT).

If you get a line talking about the Java version, something like 1.4.x, or you don’t get something like I wrote before, go ahead and download the Java SDK from http://java.sun.com. It will be listed as J2SE (either 1.5 or version 5; same thing ) for what you need. Once it’s installed run the ‘javac’ line from the readme file, then follow the instructions for the input file from the next part of the file.

I hope this helps.

Oh, aren’t everyone? %| :wink:

Here are some instructions from the readme-file:

Create a main directory to hold the code (for example, “sunflow”) and unzip the
contents of the source package into it, preserving sub-directories. Create the
“classes” subdirectory if your unzip program did not. You may now compile the
software from the main directory by running:

>> javac -sourcepath src -d classes -g:none -O src/SunflowGUI.java

once the compiling is complete, run the code with:

>> java -cp classes SunflowGUI [filename.sc] [output-file | -ipr] [-nogui]

However, I had to include the whole path for javac, otherwise it wouldn’t work. For me that’s:

C:\Program\Java\jdk1.5.0_06\bin\javac -sourcepath src -d classes -g:none -O src/SunflowGUI.java

Seemed to work, but then I don’t know what to look for. Couldn’t find any Jar-file.

Anyways - still no export-script available I think.

Based on a screenshot from the Sunflow site, there seems to be one. Can’t find it, though.

Right now it seems like it’s going to be a whole bunch of work to use this software. I tried to get it to the point where it would import a .blend file but to no avail. My gut feeling is to wait a little while until it matures a bit. Or at least until there is some more documentation to work off of. Obviously the developer(s) have Blender in mind, so it may be worth the wait.

Based on a screenshot from the Sunflow site, there seems to be one. Can’t find it, though.[/quote]

Hi everyone, just to give you an update on the export script. I will be making a few changes at the request of Christopher Kulla, the Sunflow author. It’s just some cosmetic changes to the gui and a few details in the scene export. I can’t see these taking more than a couple of hours to finish off, the script will then be sent back to Chris who will include it on the sourceforge site. As for a jar file i will ask Chris if he would include one in the download or at least the compiled classes.

Oh, aren’t everyone? %| :wink:

Here are some instructions from the readme-file:

Create a main directory to hold the code (for example, “sunflow”) and unzip the
contents of the source package into it, preserving sub-directories. Create the
“classes” subdirectory if your unzip program did not. You may now compile the
software from the main directory by running:

>> javac -sourcepath src -d classes -g:none -O src/SunflowGUI.java

once the compiling is complete, run the code with:

>> java -cp classes SunflowGUI [filename.sc] [output-file | -ipr] [-nogui]

However, I had to include the whole path for javac, otherwise it wouldn’t work. For me that’s:

C:\Program\Java\jdk1.5.0_06\bin\javac -sourcepath src -d classes -g:none -O src/SunflowGUI.java

Seemed to work, but then I don’t know what to look for. Couldn’t find any Jar-file.

Anyways - still no export-script available I think.[/quote]

If you just want to type java then you need to include it in path settings in the environment window:

if your on windows xp right click my computer, select advanced and click the environment variables button you can type the path upto and including the bin folder

I know, tried that - for some reason didn’t work for me. It finds “java”, but not “javac”. As long as there’s a workaround, it doesn’t bother me too much. The real question is where I find the compiled files. :-?

I know, tried that - for some reason didn’t work for me. It finds “java”, but not “javac”. As long as there’s a workaround, it doesn’t bother me too much. The real question is where I find the compiled files. :-?[/quote]

check your path, you may have a JRE version in the path that is before version 1.5, JRE’s don’t have javac as it’s only the runtime. when you type java it will use the first version it comes across in the path variable so basically put the path at the beginning. hope that helps.

Ok. Compiling problem solved. Just a little confusion on my part. This Java-stuff is weird %|

Now, I downloaded the sample-files and tried to make it render. First off it nags me about -ipr. Also it doesn’t find the file, even though I’m in the right directory. Sorry for being a retard, but I’m trying my best here 8)

Best bet is for you to double click the SunflowGUI.class file, windows should launch it properly for you, you will then get the simple gui. Open a file click Render->Render or Render->IPR.

Hi everyone,

I am the Sunflow developer. I’m glad to see so many people already looking to use my renderer!

I’ve made an update to the website with a precompiled binary version and the blender export script from Robert. Make sure you have at least the latest JRE from http://www.java.com/ before getting started.

I’ll be monitoring this board from now on, so feel free to ask any questions about the renderer or the exporter.

Have fun!

Hi

Very nice renderer - I especially like the progressive option. However, I am having problems with some of the sample files - the cornell dof never finishes balancing the photon map and the aliens scene doesn’t even finish parsing.

I have had no luck increasing memory allocation via the command line - could that be the problem?

Thanks

Thought this was worthy of being posted in the news-section here:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=548552#548552
The “Other software”-forum is probably one of the least visited on elysiun :-?

Hi Koba, i think your problem lies in the fact that the you will need to alter the scene and make sure the path is pointing to the sky_small.hdr file in the correct place.