Looking for Tutorials on DirectX's .X File Format

I’ve been learning Blender for some time, and I’m just beginning to learn DirectX game programming. I’m wondering if anyone knows any tutorials that would teach me how to on loading .x file format models from Blender into DirectX 10. I’ve seen information on how to do it with DirectX 9, but not DirectX 10. I’m hoping the .x file format has been deprecated from DirectX 10. :o

I just found out the .x file extension has been deprecated from DirectX 10. Now I’ll have to figure out what to do.

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Technical Support”

http://www.scapecode.com/2009/11/slimdx-direct3d10-x-loader/

Or you use .obj or whatever and the Open Asset Import Library:
http://assimp.sourceforge.net/

That helps arexma. The only thing I don’t like is that it doesn’t export the materials along with the mesh. I’m going to need to figure out how to import the materials into DirectX. Of course, I’ve just started to learn, so there’s much I don’t know yet. :wink:

I decided to give up on the DirectX thing. I’m still planning to look into Ogre3D. I’ve just learnt about XNA Game Studio, which needs Visual C# in order to program games. It’s console specific though - only can be used on Windows PCs, XBox360, and Windows Phone. As to whether Blender models can be exported to XNA, I haven’t found out yet. And I’m just beginning to read up on how to program in C#. Programming has been a hobby for my in the past, and I’d like to take it up again. I’ll have to learn C#, since I never programmed in that environment. Now I’ll have Blender, XNA, and C# to learn - all as hobbies right now. I guess 3D modeling has been something I wanted to do for a long time, as well as game programming. As for XNA, the only game I know of right now that was made with XNA was the game Terraria - which can be bought and played through Steam.

I regularily use Ogre3D.
It’s a bit of a russian oldtimer… a beast and if you get your hands dirty you can do anything :wink:
There are good GUI, particle and landscape libraries as well for Ogre, also AI, sound and networking libs that play nicely with Ogre. Definatly worth a look.
And they’re again in GSoC which usually gives them a nice boost. I really like how their node system works and how robust the whole engine is built, that along with the x-platform support.

I’m planning to learn Ogre as well as XNA. I do want to try different types of programming for games, but I know it’s going to take some time. And yes, I do plan to get my ‘hands dirty’ for this. Programming is something I’m thinking about taking up as a hobby, considering I’ve done some programming in the past. With experience in 3D modelling and programming, I’ll have knowledge that will be useful across a large area of computer-related technology. I’m just looking to add to my skills I guess. But I need to take my time and learn all this stuff. Considering I’m unemployed (I’d rather not go into details), this gives me something constructive to do with my time. But considering I’d also like to make games, I know I’m going to need the help of other people, so I’m trying also to figure out who I know who would like to work on such projects. It takes many people to create a game (just trying to be a realist about this).

Well, just don’t fall victim to the illusion Ogre is a game engine, it’s not. As the name Open Graphics Rendering Engine implies, it’s a graphics engine. There’s a lot more to a game engine than that.

I’d skip either Ogre or XNA. Start by learning C(PP) or C# not both, and dig into OOP paradigms and design patterns and if you code something bigger use UML modelling for the class structure to ensure a robust design. Else the whole thing soon either dead-ends or is very iterative and a perpetual beta, fixing old problems creating new ones.

A person alone can very well code a game, you just have to plan ahead. A jump’n’run, adventure or puzzlegame? No big deal… an RPG, MMO, RTS… not a oneman show.

I’m planning to learn either C++ or C#. And I do know Ogre isn’t a game engine - same way with DirectX. They’re libraries of files used with C++ or C# to render graphics (and games). But I do feel I’d learn a lot from programming - it will probably teach me more on how my computer works anyway. I’m always looking for something new to learn…

I gave some more thought. For now it might be good just to learn the Unity game engine. It’ll be easier on me, considering I won’t have to program code.

As for programming, I’ll take my time on learning C#. I’ve got a book from the Wrox publishing company on how to program in Microsoft Visual C# 2010 Express Edition. Since I have the ISO for the entire Visual Studio 2010 package, I’ll be able to learn from the book. But for now I’ll look for tutorials on YouTube for Unity 3D, and see if there are any ebooks I can read on my ereader that are tutorials for Unity. Seems the easier route right now…

Been reading up on Unity 3D. Would seem easier than programming my own games. I can always learn the programming thing later, only if to learn how game programming works. But this seems simpler. I haven’t started using Unity yet, but according to one of my ebooks, I can import .blend files directly into Unity. I hope that info’s correct!