Looking for water improvement suggestions ...

I’ve been playing with Fluid Simulator to spruce up this video:

There’s water pouring out of a trough at the beginning, and starting around 1:40 there’s a simulated creek.

For the pouring section: can anyone recommend a way to keep the stream more cohesive? I’d like it to look consistently like a “wall” of water. It looks correct part of the time (see around 0:09) but at other points the stream breaks up and has discontinuities. I want it to keep flowing quickly, but be less prone to separations in the pouring section. Is there any parameter that would do this?

For the creek section: this simulation had the following parameters:

• Preview Resolution: 100
  • Final Resolution: 200
  • Real World Size: 10.000
  • Domain Size: ~1 Blender unit

Even though the resolution is maxed out, it still seems that I can see the shape of the mesh in the final render. The first scene used the same material, and rendered very smooth. Any thoughts on why this scene looks more polygonal? Is it true that the Subsurf modifier doesn’t have much effect on fluid meshes? (That’s what I thought I observed when I applied it to the mesh.) Is that because they’re triagonal? Or does it have an effect and I just couldn’t see it?

Also - I’d be interested if anyone has suggestions on other effects that could be added to tie the creek into the scene. I wondered about ways to do any of these:

• Caustics where the water runs onto the baseplate
  • Light reflections onto the walls of the creek bed
  • Transparency through the water showing the Legos underneath

Are any of these possible? What would the difficulty be? Do you think they’d add much to the look? Any other suggestions?

For the pouring section: can anyone recommend a way to keep the stream more cohesive? I’d like it to look consistently like a “wall” of water. It looks correct part of the time (see around 0:09) but at other points the stream breaks up and has discontinuities. I want it to keep flowing quickly, but be less prone to separations in the pouring section. Is there any parameter that would do this?
No enough infomation. There are too many variables involved and no-one but you knows what they are. Generally more resolution will make it better but you need to get the most out of that setting and how you set up the domain has an important factor in that. You may want to try using more frames to render then scene to make it in effect slow motion and then speed up in post processing, you may get a better look

Good point. The simulation had the following parameters:

• Preview Resolution: 100
  • Final Resolution: 200
  • Real World Size: 8.000
  • Domain Size: 17 Blender units

All the other settings were the default. I think I can picture how your suggestion, rendering extra frames and post-processing, could work. I’ll have to experiment to see if I can get the desired look from that technique. Thanks.