Loom — image sequence rendering, encoding and playback

Loom basically comes with 3 dialogs to simplify the process of rendering image sequences and encoding. You can render single frames, multiple frame ranges as well as subframes, either directly within Blender’s UI or in a new terminal instance as background process in case you want to continue working while rendering.

Render Image Sequence Dialog CtrlShiftF12

The addon allows to render quite complex frame ranges, single frames, as well as exclude frames and ranges without manipulating the Timeline. For example, you can enter 1, 2, 3, 5-10 to render only those frames. You can also exclude frames from the rendering by adding a caret followed by any number after the range like 1-10 ^7 and you can specify every nth frame of the scene by adding x followed by any number like 1-10x2 and Blender is going to render every second frame of the given range.

Encode Image Sequence Dialog CtrlShiftF9

The encoding dialog allows to encode image sequences to ProRes or DNxHD/DNxHR via FFmpeg for preview or layout purposes. You can select any image sequence, set the output colorspace (useful for encoding linear exr sequences), the frame rate and the desired codec.

Loom Batch Dialog CtrlShiftAltF12

The batch dialog allows to render multiple .blend files as well as encoding their output sequences by using the command line in one go. You can either scan any directory or add the .blend files manually, re-order them and specify the render range or single frames for each file similar to the Render Image Sequence Dialog.

Loom also includes some handy utilities that help in production e.g. display of the final Output Path, a list of all File Output nodes in the regular Output Panel, the creation of project folders and more.

Render Version
Render Version Slider

Globals
Globals for all output paths

Contributions to Loom are welcome. Since Loom is cross platform, please specify your operating system when reporting bugs on github. If you have any suggestions for improvement or something, just let me know.

Cheers!

6 Likes

The usefull thing. Thanks

no shit!, that is awesome.
a little feature request, can you add an option for it, to define a starting frame number?, say I want to render from 0 to 100, but that the frame numbers go from 1100 to 1200 ?

Thanks for your idea @Looch. Yeah, we can add something in order to offset the range like 1-77o100. However, you can just enter 101-177, so at a first glance I don’t get how this would improve it. Can you please give any use case for that?

the idea is to be able to render files that start from one range into an other, this aids fixing stuff, or putting the framerange desire, for instance where I work, we always start at frame 1001, but if i wanted to bring an image sequence from blender id have to start at 1001 for it to render it from that number, but it would be nice to be able to tell it to override the frame numnber and 1001
also if you would like to render for instance every other frame, lets say 1, 3, 5, 7, but that they are called 1, 2, 3, 4, many image sequence players or softwares that handle them will give you errors if you’re missing frames inbetween, so this would solve that, when you want to 2 funky workflows for instance to render every 2nd frame so you can play at 12 fps (something that is originally 24fps) and get that stop motion feeling… you know

Thanks, now I get it. The problem is, you would loose the actual reference to the real scene frames that way. In case you have to re-render the scene and there is some tiny typo, you are lost. Something we do, is saving a new startup file along with custom timeline properties (start frame set to 1001, end frame set to whatever). In case that’s not an option, you can try this tiny addon, which adds a new button to the timeline in order to set the timeline range according to the start and end frame of the addon preferences. Anyway, let me know if something better comes into your mind.

There is already an option to fill the sequence gaps with copies of the nearest frame in case there are missing ones, see the encoding dialog documention. Does this help?

1 Like

Do u guys know how to install it?

1 Like

I just checked and the installation method described in the manual works fine. Check here: https://github.com/p2or/blender-loom

1 Like

YOUR ADDON IS AMAZING!

btw is there a way to render scenes? in one blender file it has some 2-3scenes. I use numerous scene as multiple design choices.

oh wait. do loom batch rendering didnt support Placeholders? i tried and it didnt create placeholder so other machine didnt skip the frame, so i end up rendering both frames…
i use 2 computers to render my animation…