Looney Gears (MoI, not Blender)

Heh, not so much patient as gone all day for that one.:smiley: I’ll try an animation but the res will be 320 x 240, obviously not a full 1024 x 768.

Why am I so excited to see this animated :smiley:

Much better. Still some odd white specular issues, but that may be due to your environment being very white. Now however, you have some odd looking faces on the teeth of the main ring?

Yeah, I’m thinking that’s because of how I mapped the bump. (Flat projection) I’m trying to fix it now.

New render. This one went for 2 hours.

http://uploader.polorix.net//files/19/im1188607822%281%29.png

first off… love the textures bro. i know its knit-picking… but for realism; in a real gear the outer edges of the pointed part of the teeth are tapered 5-7 degrees. the edges in between the teeth are also tapered to reduce noise and friction when they turn. also, the inner sides of the teeth should shine like polished steel because the rub together. other than that it looks friggin awesome =) i love the design of all your gears! you did a damn good job.

as for the questions on that post on where you got it: yes to both. the reason being: it operates on a bacon slicer at likes brothers meat packing plant in plant city Florida. the big gear inside had an arm attached, that traveled on a slide on the other end of the arm was a bacon slicer with thirteen sets of blades. with seven blades on blade that sliced each slab of bacon as it came down an assembly line. the stationary gear was bolted to an arm which was bolted to a stainless steel table. therefore your idea is realistically possible. and it does work =)

Update.
http://uploader.polorix.net//files/19/im1188745017.png

Not to be a downer, but you used MOI to model this and Indigo to render. Why is this on the Blender WIP thread? Because you used Blender as a passthrough from MOI to Indigo?

It’s a WIP and we don’t have a WIP forum for other software, except for 2D (Traditional forum). Plus, I have to use Blender to set up materials via Blendigo, and the background mounting was modeled in Blender. I agree with you not liking the brushed steel mounting, I’m testing mahogany right now.

i think that the surface under the gears should emit some light, that would be awesome!

Perhaps when I’m done I’ll do some participating media tests and get some nice volumetric caustics.:wink:

http://uploader.polorix.net//files/19/im1188754543.png

Hmm gears
How about animating. You could ask the biggest inner wheel to follow a cicrle and let blender physics do the rest. But then again I almost never animated and never used physics but something difrent for shure.
And Robbur posted a link to some very useful gear-plugin, you might want to take a look at it.

I’ve used the mentioned plug in to animate it, but for some reason the large 3-spoke gear interpenetrates the crown gear ever so slightly at certain points. I’m hoping it’s not too noticeable, as I don’t know how to fix it since all other gears mesh perfectly and the motion is scripted.:frowning:

Probably the wrong answer but as stated in the text that goes with the original gif, it’s an approximation and the question remains if a perfect type exists. So, maybe what you see is the error that they predict, and nothing is wrong.

But the gears in the GIF all appear to mesh cleanly. ??

Yup and you can watch them go round and round and round and…

Is it possible you made an error during the making of the nurbs? Like once used the inner side of the gear, the other time the outer side of the gif? Or misplaced your centre while lathe/spinning or animating?

If its at certain points I’d say thats because or one of the gears is ellipsoid or it’s trajectory is. (pretty certain about that) Look if the points where the gears “merge” come back every x cycles. If so well then something is ellipsoid. If it’s always at the same spots then your path is wrong, if it’s allways at the same spot then your path is just off centre, if the spot(s) move(s) but are the same every somuch turns then your inner gear is ellipsoid (or it’s centre for animating is off-centre).

Thanks, I believe I fixed it. Here’s an animation test.:slight_smile: link

Looks good, some smoothed pieces look a bit too smooth (the central most gear for example) but with texturing and such that will probably get fixed.

Very nice work :slight_smile:

Glad to hear you used that script too. I hope you get it from blender CVS repository, which has the most updated version.

I understand you wanted to try MoL but gears are quite complex thing to model because the teeth must follow a couple of exact mathematical curves to ensure they do not intersect (and do not wear out fast)

Teeth are in the shape of a trapezoid (as yours) only if the radius of the gear is infinite… THis means that yours surely intersect, even if it may be difficult to notice :slight_smile:

Anyway it is a really cool movie!

S.