Losing my mind with interface configuration!

I had begun the process of teaching myself blender. Having worked in a variety of other 3D environments, it took me a while to get settings where I wanted them but I finally had them where it “felt” right. Then I went to fiddle with something else… and it all went wrong.

Here are the basics of what I had:

LMB = select
Shift+LMB = select multiple (i.e. add to selection)

MMB = rotate view (trackball style)
Shift+MMB = pan view

Scroll wheel = zoom (up=in, down=out)

I swear I’d just selected the 3DSMax or Maya preset, and then fiddled with a few other things… but now I can’t replicate it and it’s driving me insane :frowning:

Help! Any assistance in figuring out what I need to do to get those settings back would be greatly appreciated.

File, User Preferences, Select With: Left. Then Save User Settings.

I think it would be better if you learn the default blender preset if you intend to spend allot of time with blender,you’re going to have a tough time with tutorials.

Hi there -

I originally come from Autodesks apps too, and the transition has been pretty smooth so far. The one thing to keep in mind is that the Max/Maya presets available from the Blender splash screen are essentially flawed because they are not only affecting viewport navigation but also other areas of the program, which can cause a whole lot of issues - and this is probably what you are running into.

Even though I understand that it might not fit your specific needs, my suggestion would be to do the following :

• Leaving the default settings mostly untouched for a while, so that you can follow documentation and tutorials and then later on edit the hotkeys to fit your needs ;
  • Eventually adopting the Maya-style navigation (which is not too different from the Max one, and is also used in other programs like Mudbox) by following the steps outlined in this video, which will allow you to avoid any hotkey conflicts.

From my experience there is certainly no point in sticking to the default hotkeys forever, as some of them are convoluted and/or poorly optimized from a workflow point of view. I personally removed a lot of them in order to not hit them accidentally, and I keep another version of Blender installed (2.71) as a reference with everything except viewport navigation set to defaults if I ever run into a documentation page with instructions relying on keybindings as opposed to menu items.

Another thing I noticed is that it is safer to deactivate a certain hotkey (by ticking off its check box) than completely removing it with the X button.

I hope this helps !

I agree and Vicky once mentioned blender files where someone had changed all the defaults and then was asking for help. Also, I understand changing the default right mouse select introduces other problems.

Sure, but we cannot blame a new user for changing settings when the option to do so is available right from the splash screen. It comes with the territory of catering to users coming from other programs.

If anything, people serious about writing documentation and tutorials for Blender should make the effort of not only referring to the default hotkey of a function, but also, clearly explaining where to find this given function in the regular menus. Like here :

http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-4CCA9B3E-8D75-4EE2-BDD3-7493095AF8B5

While it is great that Blender has default hotkeys for that kind of stuff, having to remember them by heart should not be a requirement for new users as it actually tends to hinder learning. It’s always better to learn where to find a tool again later, than having to remember a specific and arbitrary hotkey from the top of ones head.

I’m with you Pior. As a graphics professional I have Adobe’s hot keys burned into my nervous system. I’m only using a few of Blender’s, prefering to use the menu selections where possible. I use a lot of other graphics programs and have to watch for using one programs hot keys (and work flow) in another.
Developers should remember that Blender (as amazing and fun as it is) is not the only program in the universe.

Pior I agree and many do. Then you have the crowd intent on showing you just how much they know… But, Vicki was talking about something different in my mind. However, Bobb did bring up something which I haven’t considered being a hobbyist. And, that would be a overload of hotkeys. When I visit another program besides Blender I can simply hack around in the menus since time isn’t a consideration. A luxury he doesn’t have evidently. Now that being said the Blender developers have done a fine job of making the hotkeys intuitive I think. I mean hell G for grab and R for rotate. And, if you ask someone for help they assume G does just that.