LOTR - Sting Sword

Here’s something that took me a little over a day to make. I’d tried and failed in past years to create a 3d model of Sting from the Lord of the Rings movies, so I decided to bring my current skillset to the task, and this is what I got. I based it off of the Weta Workshop “Master Swordsmith” edition of Sting, which it turns out is somewhat different from other versions. I welcome any feedback as long as it’s positive…lol

7 Likes

Well, good job on the Sting sword. I’ve enjoyed the Lord of the Rings film trilogy by Peter Jackson.

So, it is a nice way of making Sting accurate like the original weapon in the film series. It’s hard to make accurate weapons, but this is a great attempt.

WOW! i really like the detail you did, you should do Anduril!

did you used any special addons for modeling it ?

can you try your luck with some historical ones like the hellenistic age Kopis or Machaira sword

there are tons of reference images

The sword looks good, but I think you might need to adjust the depth of field and/or the rock texture, the sword has the feel of being very small. :slight_smile:

Thanks! I thought about doing Anduril next…or maybe the master sword from the legend of zelda.

Nope, no special addons were used. I did have to use the array and curve modifiers in creative ways though…especially for the vine pattern on the grip.

Yeah, I may have cranked the DOF a bit high…lol but maybe that was because I didn’t spend a lot of time on the rock texture and wanted to draw more attention to the sword instead. :stuck_out_tongue:

I finally got around to doing a texture pass in Substance Painter. I think some of the png textures don’t work as good as the exr’s, but apparently Sketchfab can’t handle those.

2 Likes

Looks like you’ve got it down now, the model and texturing looks great!

haha thanks! I learned a good deal about modeling (and Substance Painter) last year and thought I’d make one of my favorite swords with my new skills. I’m pretty dang happy with how it turned out. :slight_smile: