Lots Of Planets Have A North! (Ninth Doctor)

The closest I’ve ever gotten was when I was playing around with BlenderHD’s explosion tutorial with cycles. My first frame look like if I tweaked It a bit it would look awesome.

I think if I got a bit more particle trail definition and some yellow color It would be the beginning of a regeneration.

Yes, and somewhat brighter.

Yeah. I think I’m going to go and start a thread on this in the WIP section so that we don’t clutter up your ninth doctor’s thread. I just started playing around with it.

Gotcha. What quality are you going for? The NInth Doctor’s regeneration was more tangible than the later ones. First is definitely easy to pull off with smoke. There seems to be sort of a funnel like shape, the main part, shooting out consistently, while where his face is is a more smokey effect you could do easily.
Depending on the quality you’re going for, you could try making a funnel as a mesh, then you generate the particles fromt hat to get the right shape, while your smoke is starting from where his face is seperately.

Probably 10th doctor quality (I don’t like the 11th doctors). For me if I’m going to work for a project like that I’m not going to go for bad quality. That’s why I don’t have any Time vortex’s on youtube. I’m never happy with the results I get. But a 9th doctors regeneration I think I would just have to make a cone and animate a cloud texture on it. That’s what it looks like if you look at the right shot. I think there are also a few particles.

I’m starting the thread in about five minute just waiting on a render so I have something to showcase. I’ll make sure put a link here.

I’ve made this version is two or so hours from scratch. I remade the reference image with both sides, and I’m going to work on it some more. There is lots of detail remaining to do. The parts that will be hair are flat shaded to differentiate. The jacket part is going to be removed later, I just made it out of boredom. Thought, as well, it might help for presentation. Very far from done.

Looks ok for a base. Are you going for a fully optimised model? If not, you might want to consider sculpting.

Also, can I see a wireframe?

Here’s what I’ve got so far. I’m going to make some more modifications for better edge loops. I usually try to model to game quality, then normal map and texture on. This one is also scaled properly…the ratio the reference image was taken from had the first image taller than it should. The final model will be normal,

Ok. I’m assuming your going to keep the hair on the head instead of using particle hair? Are you planning on keeping the eye’s in the head?
If you have any plans to animate this, you might want to move those poles in the cheeks. They probably won’t deform properly. Over all I feel like you might have to many poles.

I feel like I have to say that I’m not at all the expert of topology so I can easily be wrong.

If you haven’t already, you might want to take a look at Jonathan Williamson’s human head topology training.

Can you label it? Description like that isn’t very helpful.

Here you go.

Hopefully it’s clear enough.

With any type of lip sync, the mouth would be deforming quite a bit in those area’s.

I see what you mean now. That part is on a list of things I’ll be fixing about this model, another one being the forehead. I’ll update tomorrow once I’ve changed some things…