Lots of Questions

(thelonesoldier) #1

These are all probably stupid questions that you get all the time, but I can’t find any obvious threads about this stuff.

I’ve illustrated most of my questions with screenshots. The related text is linked to the screenshot.

My first question is about changing the thickness of the wall of a tube. I figured the easiest way would be to select the inner verticesand scale them. It looked fine from the front, but when I rotated it I realized what went wrong. I know how to scale on one axis but not two of them; is there a way to do this? What I had to do was select the inner vertices and move them to the end again, which forced me to zoom all the way in to line it up perfectly, and I still don’t know if it’s really lined up perfectly.

Which leads me to my next question. Holding control does not snap movement to the grid, but moves the selection in the same increment as the visible grid size. This means, if something is off the grid, the only way to snap it back to grid (that I know of) is to use Shift-S–> selection to grid, which snaps all the vertices and messes up most shapes. Is there another way to get the object lined up with the grid again?

Next, what’s causing the weird lighting in this picture? There is only one light source, which is up above the camera and to the right… But the edge of the outer tube is lit on the side that’s opposite the light (it looks like that light is on the inside of a tube but that’s on an outside face. Here’s another shot.

In this shot, the light is right next to the camera. So why is the closer section of the shell darker than the part that’s further away?

Also, for that model, I couldn’t figure out how to make the shell a different color than the nose. I was just trying with materials because I haven’t tried textures yet (the screenshot doesn’t have the material). Can a single object have more than one material?

For that same model, I orignally tried subserfing it to make it smooth. Unfortunately, that ruined all the hard edges and rounded parts I didn’t want to be rounded. You might notice I tried adjusting the crease on the close end of the shell, but it screwed up the area immediately around it. Looking at other posts, I’ve gotten the impression there is no way to avoid this while subserfing. So I just want to confirm there is no way to only subserf part of something? It didn’t end up mattering because I realized I could smooth it just fine without subserfing it (see previous shot).

I tried smoothing the previous model after I subserfed it and it did this. It doesn’t matter for that model, but if it comes up again is there any way to avoid it?

Also, for a complex shape I used a bezier curve to trace the edges. It looks fine from the front but actually the vertices on the left and right sides don’t line up. Is there any way I can line them up? I also thought about tracing one half and mirroring it, but then I couldn’t think of a way to line the two sides up perfectly to connect them.

Two other questions: is there a way to only bevel some of the edges of an object? Also, is there a way to just slice something off of an object (for example, if I made a box, and then beveled it, and then wanted to just cut off the back end to make it flat again)?

(scotths) #2

This is kind of a workaround to fix the problem that has already been created, but here it goes. What I would do is, now that you are at least visibly lined up, select both loops of verts and then line them up with the scale function. Hit SKEY, then y (I think you said your screen shot was from the side), then 0. This will align them to each other. Getting it back on the grid is another matter that I will have to try out later.

Oh, here is an idea. Select the verts of the outer ring. Hit SHIFT-S and choose Cursor->Selection. Then select your inner ring. Select the scale around cursor button (or command-. on OSX). Then scale with the SKEY, y, 0 and they should snap to the y position of the cursor.

I have a question for you. When you did your first scale, did you select just one inner ring, or did you also select the inner ring at the far end of the tube? My first thought is that if you are in an orthographic view and all the verts lie in the plane you are looking at, then the scale function will only scale along those two axes. But that if you have something else selected deeper in 3d space, that the verts will move in that direction too. Just a thought.

Scott

(grafix) #3

You can scale a cylinder radially (on two axis) if you held down shift as you click on the radial axis of the cylinder. For example, if you want the inner edge to be scaled down in the xy plane, hold down shift and click the z axis of the scaling widget. Then your edges would be scaled constrained within the xy plane… :o Gee, this is more confusing than it is without pictures… But try it. It’s not too hard to grasp…
Another skill to master is the use of the 3D cursor as a scaling and positioning aid. There is an option in Blender to scale and move with respect to the 3D cursor. Become familiar with the shift S functions and you could place and scale things almost anywhere with ease… So aligning the vertical position of the inner and outer edges of your cylinder should be relatively easy… You don’t have to be a slave to the grid. You can use the 3D cursor as your reference.
Weird lighting might be caused by inverted normals. Click tab to enter the edit mode, A to select all vertices and Ctrl N to recalculate normals outside. If the weirdness just moves to other places, then you might have extra faces inside the model which you need to delete.
Different materials for one object is possible. You have to create new ones and assign them to your selected faces. But be aware that Blender often links previous materials to newly created ones. So you have to click on the 2 or whatever number is displayed beside the material name to make it single user if you want to change it so you don’t end up changing other faces’ materials, too. And wondering why it wouldn’t work…
If your faces gets black streaks and general weirdness after working on it, select all in edit mode and Ctrl N is the first aid…
Work in the ortho mode. Numkey 5. Helps to line up things properly while modelling.
There is the Bevel Center script for bevelling only selected edges. For cutting off things, maybe the knife tool (K key) on selected edges, then deleting unwanted parts?
Wow, this is the longest answer I ever posted. And I’m probably wrong on some parts, but I hope some things are helpful, anyway. Got a tremendous amount of help from members of this forum when I was starting out with Blender. Just trying to give some in return… :smiley:

(thelonesoldier) #4

I have a question for you. When you did your first scale, did you select just one inner ring, or did you also select the inner ring at the far end of the tube?

smacks head Yes, that’s what I did. I should have done one side at a time. Dammit, why didn’t I realize that?

Oh, here is an idea. Select the verts of the outer ring. Hit SHIFT-S and choose Cursor->Selection. Then select your inner ring. Select the scale around cursor button (or command-. on OSX). Then scale with the SKEY, y, 0 and they should snap to the y position of the cursor.

Well, that fixed the lighting problem too. I guess the vertices weren’t perfectly aligned :stuck_out_tongue: . Thanks!

There is the Bevel Center script for bevelling only selected edges. For cutting off things, maybe the knife tool (K key) on selected edges, then deleting unwanted parts?

I’ll have to look into both of those things. Thanks!

All of the rest from both of you should be helpful too. Thanks again!

(scotths) #5

Yay, it worked.

~shs~

(thelonesoldier) #6

Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but the recursive function of the beveling script doesn’t seem to work…

edit: Gah! I can’t get the script to work consistently at all, and the more I use it the more confused I get. I keep having problems but I can’t figure out what’s causing them.

edit 2: Okay, I think I’ve finally got the bevel script all worked out. It’s very very touchy. It still has problems sometimes but for the most part I’m good.

Another question: how do you make two objects into one object?

(thelonesoldier) #7

Still need to know how to convert multiple objects to one object.

Also, I am trying to figure out how to UV map. This is the only tutorial I can find, and it isn’t working for me at all. Are there any other UV mapping tutorials?

(grafix) #8

Select the meshes in the object mode and Ctrl J?

(thelonesoldier) #9

Ah, yes, that’s it. Thanks!

Edit: Typed up another problem, but never mind, I fixed it. However, what in the hell would cause individual edges to move out of an object and into a new one?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/thelonesoldier/blender/blenderp2.gif

Also, is there any way to get something to stay on the grid after mirroring it?

(MarijnH) #10

If I understand you correctly: Select the edges in edit mode, hit P to separate them. They are now another object. In object-mode, select this new object together with the one you wanted the edges in, ctrl-J to join them.

I think you could get the effect you want by placing the cursor on the grid (shift-S, snap cursor to grid) and then mirroring around the cursor (select cursor thingy in ‘Rotation/Scaling pivot’ thing below 3d-window).

(thelonesoldier) #11

Select the edges in edit mode, hit P to separate them. They are now another object. In object-mode, select this new object together with the one you wanted the edges in, ctrl-J to join them.

I figured that out, I just don’t understand how they got seperated to begin with.

I think you could get the effect you want by placing the cursor on the grid (shift-S, snap cursor to grid) and then mirroring around the cursor (select cursor thingy in ‘Rotation/Scaling pivot’ thing below 3d-window).

That did it. Thanks!

edit: How do you copy and paste something from one file to a different file?

edit 2: Never mind, figured that out. Now, is there a way to cut a hole into the middle of a mesh? I made a mesh and just realized it needs to have a hole in the middle that I didn’t make. It’s a complicatd shape and I don’t want to have to do it over again.

(MarijnH) #12

You could use the knife (K) tool to cut out the shape of the hole and then remove the vertices inside it.

(thelonesoldier) #13

I can’t get that to work right. Anyway, I ended up deleting the faces, adding a circle, and making faces again by connecting the corners to the points on the circle. It worked out fine.

I’ve placed a plane behind an object I’m working on so there is something for shadows to be cast on during render. But in the camera view and during render, the plane gets cut off and not all of it is displayed. Also, in the camera view, the plane appears extremely warped. What’s going on?

(thelonesoldier) #14

Different materials for one object is possible. You have to create new ones and assign them to your selected faces. But be aware that Blender often links previous materials to newly created ones. So you have to click on the 2 or whatever number is displayed beside the material name to make it single user if you want to change it so you don’t end up changing other faces’ materials, too. And wondering why it wouldn’t work…

This isn’t working. Can someone please explain it better?

(Fligh) #15

http://download.blender.org/documentation/htmlI/ch10s07.html

%<

(thelonesoldier) #16

Ah, thanks.

I could have sworn I looked there and didn’t find anything on that…

Still wondering why plane behind model is warped and cut off.

(thelonesoldier) #17

Why would an image texture not show up in a Yafray render?

(thelonesoldier) #18

When I close and reopen Blender, the last directory and last opened file reset to the wrong directory and a model I haven’t opened in a while. This only started happening recently (the directory and model are the last ones I used before the problem started). Why would this happen?

(Fligh) #19

Yafray only reads certain image formats. Check the docs (or search) to find which ones.

Ctrl-U saves the current .blend as the default startup .blend. Delete everything and set all your windows, headerbars and cursors to center and Ctrl-U to get an empty default. If it’s not a custom layout then you can search for and delete B.blend and when you start Blender again it will generate a new, empty B.blend the same as the downloads.

[>] Time to kill this thread and post your next question with a title that describes the subject. You’re not getting any answers because everyone who comes here to help has read this thread to death.

%<